Does it ever bother you....

Does it ever bother you to see a child out in public who has drity fingernails, greasy hair or even food all over their face..!??! and think to yourself... whyy doesn't that parent give that kid a bath??? or just wash their hands!!

I know its shouldn't bother me.. but it does!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Dirt under the fingernails or food on the face no, could have just caught them at a bad time like right fter it happened even. Now greasy hair usually means they're a little behind in the bathing department.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:04 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'm funny about that too. I would have to at least wash their face and hands before I went anywhere. My kids are 22, 17, and 11 and I still make sure they look decent before going out the door.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• yeah, I guess thats what I mean. I see parents letting their kids walk around with dirty faces and stained clothes. I grew up with very little and we were still clean and washed up. A friend of mine has an absolutely adorable little boy he is 4 month and has long dark brown hair.. He was born with a full head of hair .. its always greasyyy and never combbedd it looks so messyy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I depends on where I am, but even then I try not to judge. I know that there have been times when I have packed to much in my day. Post Office and Dr. Appointment in the morning followed by a quick lunch out and then on to the DMV and grocery shopping. At some point my kid might get messy. I try to keep a spare set of clothes in the car for both of them, but they grow so fast and there have been times that I have forgotten to put new clothes in the emergency bag, so they don't fit. But sometimes I see kids and I can't help thinking "how hard is it to pass a wet wipe over their face to clean them up a bit?" Different strokes for different folks I guess...
    sandrizzle

Answer by sandrizzle at 12:10 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I agree with sandrizzle. I try to not let it bother me. For instance, a friend of mine's kids tend to look a little unkempt, but they are very hapy AND very well taken care of. At times, I guess we just have to prioritze what's truly important. At the same time, these seemingly unimportant things can be serious signs of abuse or neglect. Its hard to know when a child is truly being neglected. I have kids in my classroom that look well-groomed but are lacking such basic needs that it really makes the cute hair and clothes seem stupid. Not only that, the kids with good hygeine tend to get more attention when we are out doing errands. When Hannah has her hair done and a cute outfit we get stopped constantly to say what a cute little girl she is. I would think it would be sad to not have people compliment my kid.
    Megs00835

Answer by Megs00835 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I hate that. And seeing overweight kids, and kids with rotted teeth. Shows how great their parents have been.. Or not been.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Well greasy hair and nasty dirty clothes is not cute its poor hygiene...But the un brushed part some times cant be helped. My son has reallly curly hair and if I brushed it everytime it looked messed up it would be hell...

Lets see if you wanna brush that everytime it gets frizzy or messy...And this is after bath time!!

jeni0323

Answer by jeni0323 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Dirty fingernails bother me a lot more than some lunch on their face. One trip to McDonald's and my kids would have ketchup cheeks, but dirty fingernails and greasy hair are signs that a child needs some attention.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sure, as a mom, I don't like to see any child neglected. BUT, I do have 5 and know, they get dirt under their nails, go out and play, eat a fudgsicle then dirt sticks to the chocolate on their mouths. They get bed head, wear holes in their clothes etc. Kids are kids, and a certain amount of dirt indicates...I had fun playing today. If I am leaving home, I brush hair, wash hands and faces, but sometimes my kids go to the store in play clothes etc. Sometimes their tennis shoes look ratty etc. They are kids!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• For me the answer is no, I live in the country about the only time a kid looks clean is if it is Sunday, school day or the parents are taking a trip into town LOL. There is no way a kid in the country is going to stay clean for more then 5 minutes. It drove me crazy when we first lived here, but after changing clothes 5 times a day and having fifty loads of laundry I have accepted my new reality. Greasy hair bothers me a little though cause it shows that the hair isn't getting washed.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2011