Vacation in Hawaii...rent a beach house or stay at a resort?

We're thinking of taking a 7-10 day vacation in Hawaii in September...we're torn between staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village resort in Waikiki or renting a cute beach house in Laie - east side of the island.

We are laid back people who can appreciate the countryside and quietness it brings, but we also like Waikiki. (we have stayed there before) However, this time we'll have a 2 year old and 4 year old. I like the idea of having a home away from home on an uncrowded beach but I think the resort might be more interesting for the kids?

I'd like to know the pros and cons of both...anyone with experience have any suggestions or anything? What would be more fun for us as a family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Travel

• Oh thats a tough one. I went to Hawaii with my ex and a whole group of friends and we rented a beach house. On the way back in we stopped in Honolulu for one night. I was so grateful that we had been at that beach house, cause it made the experience so much better. Less touristy. BUT..we did see lots of families in Honolulu playing at the resorts. We had no children with us when we went, it was all adults. Could you divide the time between a beach house and maybe one or two nights at a resort?

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have stayed in a beach house in that town - Northside, right? Up near the Morman temple? Beach house, hands down-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• beach house!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think if you rent a beach house you could cook your own meals - big advantage.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Beach house. You can buy your own food and prepare it there and eat healthy and on your terms. No meal tipping! Plus with a beach house you have room for guests and lots of room for the kids to play while you chill. There are places with extras like a jacuzzi and some offer to build campfires on the beach too. They stock the wood and supply smores while you gather and enjoy!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2011