Is it really all that unusual to have a husband who cleans up?

I have seen a lot of ladies on here lately complaining about how their husband or boyfriend or whatever doesn't clean up after themselves and will throw their clothes on the floor right next to the laundry basket and stuff like that. My husband opens the closet door in order to use the basket and he cleans the kitchen for me every day, including washing all the dishes. I assumed this was normal. Is it really all that unusual?

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• My husband is the same way-he has always helped and I thank his mother all the time that she gave him good "home training!"
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 11:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You are really a lucky woman to have a husband who helps.....most men are spoiled by their Moms and when they get married,they let their wives do it all. My Dad was really good about helping my Mom because he was raised by a woman who believed that everyone in the family was responsible for helping around the house. He was the original "liberated man". LOL.
    It is important to raise our sons to be equally responsible for housework,cleaning,cooking.laundry !!!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Im not sure how unusual it is but unfortunately I am not as lucky as you, lol. My husband doesnt clean anything and he also drops his clothes wherever hes standing regardless of how many times I ask him not to. :(

most men are spoiled by their Moms and when they get married,they let their wives do it all
    ^ So, so true.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 12:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i'm not sure, but my hubby actually seems to like cleaning and cooking. it's creepy lol! but nice!! he was a bachelor for a long time though (I'm 24 and he's almost 40) and he's been out on his own since 18. he cooks way more and better than I do too! both of my grandfathers and father also like to cook, but not so much clean. my dad is an excellent cleaner when he does do it he is all into details. my hubby though, he does the dishes a lot and laundry. we have a 1 year old and i get backaches a lot so he does a lot of bending stuff for me. he loves hardcore chemicals like bleach, i think its like a bleach-vs-germs battle video game for him lol!! but he was not overspoiled by his mom so i think that has something to do with it.
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Mine has always helped, but I have always worked.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My husband also opens up his closet door and puts his clothes into a basket, he washes them also. He does the dishes after supper every night and help folds and put away towels, wash rags, & his socks and underwear. He takes care of outside stuff also and he will help me bring up and down the totes for all the decorating. There is where it stops though. No bathroom cleaning, vaccuming, sweeping, mopping but he will clean up his own messes and the does his own coffee and lunch for work.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Mine may not be good about throwing his dirty laundry IN the hamper, but he does more cleaning in general around the house than I do! (He has to, I'm not physically able to.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I stay home, so my husband doesn't do major cleaning, but he does put his clothes in the hamper and he occasionally makes dinner. When we're expecting company he helps deep clean. A lot of times his help comes in the form of entertaining our 16 month old so she isn't in my way. Either way, I don't feel like his maid. And if I ask him to help with something he does it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Not in my house. And all of my sons have learned to clean house also.
    The biggest harm a mother can do to her son is to not teach him how to be domestic.....cook, laundry, clean
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Not in my house as in - not unusual in my house that is. My husband and I divide up the chores. I hate to do dishes, he hates to clean bathrooms etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2011