How do you find out which school your child will attend?

We moved to a new city last month, and my son is starting kindergarten this fall. How am I supposed to know which school he goes to?? I've been looking on the internet...I even looked up the school district. Am I over-thinking this??

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 12:20 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Absolutely Not, you are doing a good job! the earlier the better!
    Google the name of your city and add "unified school district". There you can start by checking test scores, then i would also recommend to visited the schools, sit in the class and talk to teachers or other parents. My sons Homeschool was not a choice for us when i saw and did the research, instead i found out that i could enroll him in sth called open enrollment where it works as a lottery and you get to choose which public school you want for your child (within your district). But there is a lot of work for you as a parent too, a lot of budget cuts and stressed out teacher. So to get the best out of your child you have to help you child at home :) hope that helps a little, Good Luck!
    Actress-mom81

Answer by Actress-mom81 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Not sure what state you are in, but we are able to look on the School District site click on Transportation enter our address and grade of child...Also sometimes if you go on a apartment finders site put in your zip click on one of the apartments in your area they normally have the schools listed
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 2:20 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Call the superintendent's office to find out. Chances are they won't even know yet. In our area there have been so many budget cuts that when a teach retires or is let go she is not replaced, they just move the kids around at the different available schools and stick them in where they can. It no longer matters where you live, you go to the school they tell you to and that's it.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:00 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You can always ask your neighbors with school age kids they should know where the local public neighborhood is
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 10:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• no not at all. You should physically go down to the school district and they can show you on the map what district you are in. Also a good idea to see the map cause sometimes the district lines change.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• How can I find out where the office for the school district is? (Forgive me, I have never done this before) :)
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You could just call one of the schools in the district and they will direct you to the correct one. I went online and found out. I had to find the school district's webpage then I looked at their busing schedule to see which bus stopped closest to our house and then found out which school it went to (they didn't have a district map which I've used in the past when we were looking for places to live). When we went to register them (we moved 2 weeks before school started) the first thing they asked was our address to make sure we were at the right school since there are 3 elementary schools in town. After that I just filled out paperwork for each kid and turned it in the next day. The day after that I went by the school and they had the class lists posted on the door (small town and all that) so I knew who their teachers were on orientation day (which was the day before school started).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would type your address into the Great schools website and they will tell you the most likely option. THen go to your county schools website and verify.

Or call up the closet school and ask for assistance. Good luck.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Call the School Board.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2011