Would you buy a new used car.....

My husband and I each have a car. Both are paid off. My car is a 98 and I've owned it for 6 years. It's falling apart. Aside from many issues, it has a huge hole in the exhaust near the front of the car and with us living in the frozen tundra, I'm worried about the carbon moxide levels inside the car if I let it warm up. I have a 2 year old and 3 1/2 month old. Needless to say we try not to have our kids in the crappy car, but with me going back to work it inevitable that we will be relying on both cars.

I am looking into buying another used car that is in better shape. If I can find a good one for $3000 - we can barely squeeze by on the payments. Should safety rule over food on the table? What would you do?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Try an local car auction i would definantly buy a used car its cheaper & you wont have monthly car payments
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would still have to take out a loan as I have no more than maybe $180 a month to spare so I'm thinking I can afford a $3000 36 month loan and full coverage insurance i would need. I can't do a car auction since my in-laws own a major dealership and I would have to buy from them - In case your wondering I do get a little discount.
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• OH ok well then go with a new one then and since you get a discount you should be able to find something you guys can afford
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Save your 180 a month and go get the exhaust fixed. Even if it ends up costing you 500, that's a hell of a lot cheaper than 3k.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• What about public transit or a bicycle?

Answer by rkoloms at 11:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Oh thank you Rkoloms. I love the idea of public transportation, but it would be really hard in the town I live in to get a 3 month old and 2 year old from my house to daycare and to work on time considering it's normally a high of 10 degrees where I live. - same with the bike. If I lived somewhere that had a subway I would ditch the car in a second!
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It sounds to me like it would be cheaper to fix the car. If you get a car loan and can't afford it one month they can repo the car. And then you will be car-less. Summer is coming soon. Start piling away money to fix your car, and then if you need to- park the car for the Summer and start saving up more money. I know it's not ideal. But it is only temporary.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2011