It hurts when my son poops! What can i do?

My son is 3 and has been "potty" trained sense 1 1/2 years. at least for #1. He goes all on his own and only has an issue with #2. He doesn't mess in his pants often but dose sometimes and i refuse to go back to pull-ups and diapers! He's being told that there for babies and if he has to have one then he cant play with his toys! He say's it hurts to poop. And we go in circles over this! Every time he dose go its a big deal calling grandma the nanny and everyone! Plus he gets a bigger prize for going #2 in the potty! Not as big as the bike or Birthday cake hes been asking for but something! I go as far as trying to make a game out of it for him going in the potty! "Let me hear it bloop bloop." What ever i can think of to get him to relax and go! The doctor say's that it doesn't sound like an internal issue and that all I've been doing is the way to go about it but. Ive never heard of a child doing this.

J_Nickole

Asked by J_Nickole at 1:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Give him some pear juice. That will help soften it up and it doesn't taste nasty like prune juice. Apple juice has a lot of acid in it and can cause a rash on the butt.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• you can try also cranberry juice. Try to give him also a lot of water. Make sure that his stool it's not that hard, otherwise it's still going to be hurting him.
    GOOD LUCK
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 3:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Ask your doctor about stool softeners. I wouldn't recommend getting the over the counter kind without consulting your doctor first, but a lot of moms I know have used them even for basic potty training for #2 (I never did, but I didn't have much trouble with the issue). If he says it hurts when he poops, he may be having hard stools, but it doesn't sound like your doctor is listening to you or taking your son's complaints seriously.
    LazyMistake

Answer by LazyMistake at 4:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• more vegetables in his diet and fish oil. softenes the stools. and after he uses the toilet he get to ring the bell. after all if it is fun he would do it more.
    Theoneandonly

Answer by Theoneandonly at 7:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Our doctor told me use Miralax ! It sells over the counter. It is a powder that you put in their drinks.
    We put in about 1 tbsp per-- sippy cup. We have adjusted it according to how "loose" her stools have been.
    blessedw2girls

Answer by blessedw2girls at 8:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My ped's doctor said to cut back on vit d milk, if you haven't already. Switch to 2%
    mjnmkmommy

Answer by mjnmkmommy at 11:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• We have a same problem. My son was on MIRALAX since 2 y. old
    Now I switch to goat milk + flax seed oil. Not 100% , but better.
    laygla

Answer by laygla at 11:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Stop shaming him to start with. Do you really think he would CHOOSE to be shamed rather than go in the potty? Take the pressure off of him. Forcing him, shaming him, calling everyone to tell them what a baby he is isn't working and is actually harming him. What do you have to lose by trying a different method?

This is actually fairly common. Get the book "It hurts when I poop". You can find it at Amazon or ebay. "Everyone Poops" is good too.

Consider giving him a partial dose of Miralax. It's not a laxative, it simply keeps his poop from getting hard and makes it really hard for him to resist going.

Stop giving big rewards for going in the potty. Don't give him anything. This is what he is supposed to do. If you want to let him collect a sticker each time he does poop in the potty and turn in 20 stickers for an ice cream cone, fine. But no big rewards and certainly not for one poop.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Hmmmm, I would quit rewarding him period for using the bathroom, after a while crap gets expensive if ya know what I mean. Using the bathroom is a part of life... Praising him verbally is reward enough I say... And give him more water versus juice or milk all day, even try fiber hearty foods...
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 11:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008