How do you go about talking to your SO/DH on how to get on the same page with parenting?

How do you talk to your SO/Dh about raising your child or children if you have seperate views

DesisMommy2007

Asked by DesisMommy2007 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• it's hard very hard... but you guys need to find a middle that is what my husband and i do... it's not easy but it's what helps... and will help your marriage too.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Where you paranoid at first when you first talked to your DH about this?
    DesisMommy2007

Comment by DesisMommy2007 (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Mostly we agree. If we happen to disagree, I explain to him the reasons why I think it should be THIS way, and he explains his reasons why he thinks it should be THAT way. It all works out in the end. Usually I end up convincing him, but sometimes I go along with his reasoning. :)
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 12:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It was hard at first, now we have round tables about children issues...He gives his thoughts, I give mine...He usually ends up going along with me...Also if the kids come to either of us with a request (can I go, can I get) there is a 24 hr wait time which alongs us to discuss it with each other before answering..(this means they cant come to him while Im not home and ask to go somewhere or do something, that they know if I was home they wouldnt be able to go or do, and vice verse)
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have always tried to talk about issues before they even come up.. What will we do if...? Would you be upset if I..?
    I am religious and SO is not. But he still supported me baptizing her, and was there for it. I didn't want my DD to have any sugar until she was one, and although he didn't understand completely why, he went along with it, and even helped keep his parents in line with that rule.
    We discuss things and usually he sees that my way is the best way to do things, and i am only looking out for the best for our DD.
    I think making sure that he knows you aren't trying to just undermine him, you are actually doing what you believe is best.
    And if you think your man may not be receptive to your views, research them. Find facts, studies, medical journals backing up what you say. If you have proof in black and white, its hard to argue it.
    Good luck!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 10:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We had many discussions about this before committing to marriage and a child (this is what adults do)

Answer by rkoloms at 12:10 AM on Jan. 5, 2011