breastfeeding question latching problems and impatience

My daughter is having trouble breastfeeding her daughter. since i only breastfed one of my children over 20 years ago, i haven't many tips to give her on helping her child latch onto the nipple. the baby is only 3 days old and gets a little impatient and works herself up so much that she ends up crying around the nipple instead of latching. my daughter had pumped diligently, but did not produce any colostrum until birth. she needs to feed baby every 3 hours, so every feeding starts off with baby arguing that she is sure her fingers produce milk and my daughter explaining that the milk comes from her. she was using her store of colostrum that she pumped, squirting it into a nipple shield to help baby realize that there was colostrum there, but has run out and i expect the next feeding to go poorly. any ideas or tips for little mommy?

ruejacobs

Asked by ruejacobs at 12:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try sugar water. I had the same problem with my DD. She would get so mad that I wasn't letting down fast enough and would just scream. Have her drip a few drops on her nipple or more if needed. She is just learning the same as mommy is learning. Tell you daughter not to give up. She will get the hang of it.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Try expressing a little directly from nipple to the baby's mouth, and ditch the sheild unless absolutely necessary. If at 3 hours the baby is in a frenzy, she can try to nurse sooner. The baby might be overly hungry at hour 3.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Also, tell her to watch for the early signs of hunger, like the baby turning toward the breast, newborns have a grunting sound that most of them make when hungry. Fussiness and sucking on fingers are late signs of hunger and usually come when the baby is starting to get frustrated. Trying to nurse before that is usually much more successful. Tell her to hang in there, they will get the hang of it soon :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:12 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• she really does need the shield, b/c one of her nipples was badly chapped. i like the advice so far. and i'll pass it on to her.
    ruejacobs

Comment by ruejacobs (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• she is feeding baby every two hours now and the sugar water seems to really encourage the baby. she places a few drops on her nipple and the baby latches right on. it would seem somebody has a sweet tooth.
    ruejacobs

Comment by ruejacobs (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I was thinking that. Normally woman don't use the sheild unless they are sore. I do agree that maybe baby is getting overly hungry. Do have her try to feed her earlier. If it seems like she is not getting enough to eat she can also be cup fed. Have your daughter use her milk and put it in a medicine cup. Baby doesn't need much so watch for signs of her being full. If mama does have enough milk you can also use liquid formula, but try not to use it too much so she doesn't get too used to the taste of formula.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Oh good! Well if you think about it breast milk is normally pretty sweet tasting :) I am glad it is working...I know it did for me.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:58 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I meant doesn't have enough milk. I think my fingers have a mind of their own :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:00 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• She needs to ditch the clock and feed on demand. Not every x amount of hours. The first six weeks are growth spurt after growth spurt. She may go 3 hours one time, 30 minutes the next time. It doesn't matter. It definitely sounds like the baby is past the early stage of hunger and is pissed. I would also ditch the shield. Have her put breastmilk on her nipples and let them air dry. As long as the latch is good, nipple soreness should subside after about 2 weeks.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• "my daughter had pumped diligently, but did not produce any colostrum until birth."

Colostrum usually comes post partum. Before birth pumping is a waste of mom's energy AND can cause premature labor. Stating that for the benefit of expectant moms... leave the pump boxed till after birth.

NO timing of feeds. Hide her clocks.

I'm not fond of sugar water... not good to get baby used to that. Express ONLY a tiny bit of milk/colostrum, leave it on the ni pple, put baboyn and leave her there.

Offer OFTEN. Three hours is too long. Look for the first sign of rooting and latch. If baby is acting too sleepy, there's a jaundice risk.. so offer as much as possible. Feeding should take up most of her day right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2011