when do the nighttime feeding end?

My ds is now almost 8 months old, every night, between 2-3 hours he wakes up, i try (and dad tries) to sooth him back to sleep, all to no avail, the only thing that seems to work is nursing him down to sleep. He isn't going through a growth spurt, cause he's been doing this since he was 4 months old..i know he is teething now, but should that really affect that?

Also, i feed him solds at night, and in the morning, he breastfeeds every 4 hours (if i do every 2, he eats for like 5 mintues and then he is done) so i know he is full. help!

madamlinwe

Asked by madamlinwe at 2:07 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD was like this as well. Around 12 months she started sleeping thru the night. I know it sucks but I would try to hang in there and keep nusring him for now. There is all sorts of stuff out there about at what age kids shouldn't be hungry at night and blah, blah, blah, but for me I felt my DD was truly hungry and needed to nurse, so I nursed her. I found it was much easier to just do that than to try and get her to sleep without nursing. I would usually spend time and effort trying to get her back to sleep just to end up nursing anyway. Give it a few more months and you will probably see him eat less and less at night and have longer periods of sleeping. In my opinion that age was too young to let my DD cry it out in the middle of the night, but you just have to decide what is best for your child and go with what your gut tells you he needs. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You might have to start letting him cry to sleep. They need to learn how to get themselves back to sleep if they wake up in the night. It is a long, hard process, but your consistent work with him will pay off! He probably is`nt really that hungry, just wanting comfort to get back to sleep. Good luck!
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 2:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It varies. If you've tried other methods to comfort him and they don't work, I would say that he's probably truly hungry at that time, and I would just nurse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It stops when it stops. There's no set age. Be aware that a before-bed meal of solids can make them wake more at night... so keep it light and well before bed, not right before.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011