breastfeeding

how long did it take for you to get past tar poopy to get to the yellow poop? I'm tired this is my first day home so i can use odd words like "poopy".. my son is only 3 days old and I breast feed.

I want that yellow poop so bad! just to know i am feeding him like i think.. i guess another question could be if after feedings he burps (most of the time) and falls asleep - he will feed on one boob alone for 10 minutes... typically a new born will let you know if they are just dry sucking? I have changed wet diapers... my first child i could not sucessfully breastfeed with. i have gathered well everything i've done wrong and am exclusively breastfeeding this time ... need a little confidence boost at 2am i guess...

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 3:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• can't remember exactly about the poop, but I think it turned this mustard greenish color for a while. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I had a whole Diaper chart at home too and I would describe the color in it and take it to the doctor, lol I'm Type A. LOL

About the BF....When my son typically fed he fell asleep at the breast. But the times he did stay awake he would kind of act frantic if the flow was a bit slow, like he was unhappy, and then I would switch and he would be fine again.

Did you get engorged yet? It took me I think 4 days for my milk to come in and I was engorged which made feeding hard. I remember getting in the shower 3-4 times just to have warm water to help me express the milk so my son could get a good latch. But it is a great time to pump if you want to EBF...that way if you work, need a break, w/e you have a supply.

GOOD LUCK
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:20 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Also, if you have a line you can call about infants, I am almost positive the poop should not be tarry any more. Maybe some one who ebf and has a better memory could answer this better, but I think it should steadily be turning yellow over the next couple weeks. It's worth it to just call your delivering hospital just to ask.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My daughter still had tarry poop until probably day 5, I'd say.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think the poop changes at around day 4. I don't really remember though. It is very hard to nurse for the first 3 weeks. After that, it gets much easier. Has your milk come in? That's what made it hard for me. I got very engorged and it was painful. Just do whatever you have to to get through those first weeks. Stick to it. It gets much better. Good luck! You are doing the right thing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My milk did not come in until day 5, prior to that I just nursed her every two hours or even a little sooner if she got fussy. The colostrum is all your baby needs right now and if you are getting wet diapers then you are doing good. I wouldn't expect yellow poop until your milk comes in, and you will know when it comes in. If you get engorged you can do the warm shower, or I did a heating pad wrapped in a wet towel over my chest. Just nurse, nurse, nurse and then nurse some more. Put that baby to the breast every chance you get, if you need to tickle some toes to wake baby up go ahead, and it helps to stimulate milk production and sucking from the baby if you have skin to skin contact so try undressing baby and taking your shirt off to nurse as well. Part of it is that you just have to trust that your body and your baby know what to do and have faith in it. Good luck to you!!!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My DD missed pooping for 2 days then the yellow poop came.

Don't worry about poops. As long as your are changing at least 6 diapers a day, the baby is getting enough. Please join one of our breast feeding moms groups here. You will get a lot of help and support.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Remember that six changes daily comes at about a week.

Sounds like you're fine. I wouldn't expect yellow yet. I wouldn't look for that for another day or two. You're good... CHANGE NOTHING!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2011