Breastfeeding Mamas,what is your best advice?

I will be having my 3rd child later this year if it is in God's plans(I hope it is) and I'm embarrased to say that if I don't get some REALLY good advice on bf that I will be a thrice failure at it. I tried everything under the sun with my 2 kids and I failed at it. I felt so bad. I wanted so badly to do it. I lasted few weeks with my first and 3 months with my second. Then the milk was gone and nothing could bring it back. I tried pescriptions, herbs, lactation consultants, Medela dounle electric breast pump, even my ob/gyn and the babies' dr. I am at a loss. I feel so ashamed because I know it's something I'm doing wrong and it's supposed to be so natural. Please help!!! I want to be prepared as much as possible. Here are the most common problems I have had-
1. Baby falls asleep at the breast after a few brief mins. I try removing clothes, changing diaper, tickling and nothing helps. 2. When baby does drink I don't hear any swallowing and it hurts like crazy. 3.My breats are engorged as all get out and baby can't get his/her mouth over the nipple area. 4. I can't get baby to take the whole areola area. 5. Sometimes baby is asleep instantly at the breast. 6. When I put the baby back to bed he/she waes up after a short while and seems hungry again as if he/she never ate. 7. When I have let-down it comes from both breasts and the baby gets sprayed. 8. When I pump it's maybe an ounce and after the weeks go by it dwindles to nothing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My best advice is to give it at least 6 weeks... because until then you are still both getting the hang of it.
    1. Sometimes they are just sleepy, you baby might need more time to wake up
    2. If it hurts the baby isn't latched on correctly and it's probably why you aren't hearing and swallowing. If it hurts have your baby unlatch and try again... keep trying until it doesn't hurt. If it doesn't get better find a lactation specialist to help you.
    3.Express some milk prior to putting the baby to breast
    4. the baby shouldn't take the whole areola in... just a nice big "bite"
    5. Probably sleeping because they weren't hungry... just wanted to snuggle
    6. Probably not getting enough milk at breast or getting a lot of foremilk which doesn't last long
    7. Keep one breast covered while breastfeeding
    8. Make sure you have a high quality pump. Some people just don't respond well to pumping, but you still have milk.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Oh honey... there are great groups here that can help you with all of this. I will see if I can help.
    1) The first few days you only have colostrum... high fat content makes it ok that baby only gets a little.
    2) An imporper latch will hurt like hell. STOP... Take a breath... RELAX... try to relatch.
    3) Try hand expressing some milk before baby gets a chance to get hungry. Only enough to make you feel better.
    4) I personally have very large areolas. None of my kids got it all in, but the point is to make sure they are not only on the nipple. Hurts like HELL!
    5) Within a couple weeks, baby get very efficient at getting milk. Some babies are done after 5 minutes.
    6) Breastfed babies eat when they are hungry. Sometimes it is every 2 hours. Sometimes every 30 minutes. Sometimes they will go 4 or 5 hours. As long as they are gaining weight and having 6-8 wet diapers a day, they are doing great!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 3:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• 7) Again, try expressing milk ahead of time. Also, disposable or reusable breast pads are a must for the first few weeks to months.
    8) Pumping is NO indication of how much milk you are making. I was so engorged with my first child, that I was able to feed her and pump 8 oz between both sides AFTER she was done eating. I was never able to pump more than .5oz at a time with my last baby (number 5). Breastmilk is like gold... Never waste it. If you pump a half an oz after each feeding, that is awesome! store it away in the fridge or freezer (fridge until you can get 1 or 2 oz into the freezer).
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 3:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I need to know what made you feel that your milk had dried up. Because it is VERY uncommon for milk to just disappear out of no where. Pump output does not mean ANYTHING!!! Do not use a pump to figure out how much baby is getting. You need a good IBCLC. Seek out your local La Leche League, and start going to their meetings, before baby comes. They are so helpful. I would suggest exclusively nursing, with no supplements, because supplementation can lead to supply problems. Pain can come from improper latch, so I urge you to meet with a professional when the time comes. Google overactive letdown, there are things you can do to help so that let down doesn't upset baby as much. But I really need to know why you felt there was a supply problem before I can offer more advice.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I am so sorry Ihave been lucky with all three of my kids.My third baby would not latch on until my milk came in full force though. I asked the baby's dr what to do and he told me to keep trying to give it to her and aventualy she will take. But if you are in so much pain then why don't you just pump and give the milk to the baby that way; I know it is not as bonding with the child but at least they are getting the breast milk.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 7:20 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I highly recommend attending your local La Leche League meetings. Start now while you're pregnant. They are a great support system and ours has a lending library.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• join some of the great bfing groups ! I wish i would have bf my oldest 2 .. i did bf my youngest but only until it was deemed he needed a special formula .. =( it broke my heart ! we are done with having babies .. and it still bothers me =( that i didnt with the first 2 and couldnt longer with my 3rd ...
    bwsmommy

Answer by bwsmommy at 10:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Great advice from Amber. I just wanted to add that your body makes a lot of milk at night, if you can nurse laying on your side (it took me a few tries to get the hang of this but it quickly became my favorite nursing position) then you can sleep baby next to you at night and let baby nurse on demand, if they fall asleep and wake again to nurse it is much less disturbing to you and baby, and this is a time when milk production is high so a good time to stimulate production with lots of nursing. Also, you probably know that you want babies mouth completely open to latch on, if the bottom lip gets tucked under they won't latch properly and it will hurt, you can use your pinky to flip that lower lip out to help improve the latch. Nurse at least every two hours for the first weeks, meaning you start at 9:00 then you start again by 11:00 even if it took baby 45 mintues to nurse, and if baby will latch sooner you let them. Good luck
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Please join one of the breast feeding groups here and just start reading the posts. There are women with these same issues and hundreds of tips and tricks get posted. So many that there isn't space here to list them all.

These are common problems. You CAN do this!!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• This isn't a great forum for as many questions as you have. Please do stop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group. In the meantime: AMBER NAILED IT. Follow her advice TO THE LETTER.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011