Who was in the wrong?? Inlaws or us???

Ok so long story short we moved in with my inlaws and they are noisy and they complain about everything. My Dad has been visiting for 3 weeks now and I took vacation time and I have spent time with him.

Well today, I didn't take him out with us (to run 2 errands) and I was chewed out by my MIL and FIL on how I am ignoring him and not including my Dad who is visiting. I have taken him place(parks, stores, pretty much anywhere I have gone). He is retired and came to visit for the holidays. He usually doesn't do much at home(doctor appts, shopping).We usually go in our room after we get off work to relax and he complains we didn't sit and spend time with him. My FIL accused me of ignoring him and my MIL is all bent out of shape because while I was working she had to make meals for him and entertain him. I don't feel it's there job to judge me or my hubby on how we "entertain" our guest or lack of caring. I guess I just want some words or something... confused :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I wouldn't worry about it....your dad will be gone if he hasn't left already and it will be water under the bridge. Just tell your inlaws that it isn't worth your time arguing about.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• it's all about what your dad thinks... you and your hubs have to work and your dad knows that.... that's all that matters.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 3:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i would not worry about it !!! give it some time and it will pass!!
    mom_of_2_girlz

Answer by mom_of_2_girlz at 4:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i am thinking of move in with my mil and fil i wounder how they feel about that i will to ask them later
    but it won't only the two of us it will 5 and dog and cat yes they will be pissed but rather be there then in the cold
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• What does your dad think? I am sure you can't entertain him the whole time. 3 weeks is a very long time to be there for vacation. I would bet your dad understands. I wouldn't worry about it too much except that it falls onto your inlaws to entertain him. That's what's probably going on there.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• They may feel taken advantage of in the sense that they willingly took you into their home and are now expected to entertain your guests as well. If your dad is the one who complained about you coming home and going straight to your room to relax then your inlaws are probably just sticking up for him, not wanting someone to feel unwelcome in their home, but at the same time it's not their job to entertain your dad. Maybe next time shorten the visit to time when you will be available or maybe even have your own place.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 6:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I was thinking along the same lines as Ashes; maybe they feel like they have to entertain him when you're not around. That is a long visit when you don't have your own place.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Well, if we had to take in some of hubby's family I would be pretty hacked off if they had company come stay with them when they were living in our home, especially company that I had to cater too. I can see your MIL's point on this, it seems like your dad has been there a long time.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• While "in law" is a suffix meaning "person to be ignored"... It's also true that fish and houseguests start to stink after three days... your in-laws may have exceeded their limit.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• let it go in one ear and out the other I love my inlaws but they have different views on EVERYTHING!!! nothing you do will EVER be right! coming from someone who was living with inlaws I feel your pain! love em to death but cant stand to live with em
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2011