Do you get your teens up for school or let them get up on their own?

robinkane

Asked by robinkane at 7:24 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I do not have a teen but I am not far from being one myself. My mother never woke me up. I had to get up with my alarm and make sure I caught the bus from the age of 7. If my mom caught me still laying in bed trying to get away with not going to school, she would come in and dump cold water all over me. A few times of her doing that and I never had a problem getting up again.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My dd is almost 13 and I have on occasion 'had' to get her up even though she has an alarm clock but 98% of the time she gets up on her own. I've told her I wouldn't take her to school if she was late (school is 4 miles away) but it hasn't happened so maybe she believes it cuz 'I would follow through'.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 7:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I get the kids up; my almost 14yo is notorious for sleeping through his alarm clock. Arguably, he should be able to get up without mom, but if he's running late it throws the whole morning off for the other two kids. Thinking about it, I really should just make him pay the natural consequences.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:29 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No! I will not wake my step son up because his problem is that is stays up too late on his cell phone (which I don't like) if he would go to sleep at a normal time I probably would try to wake him up once in the morning.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 7:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I get my 13 year old 8th grader up. She has to get up at 6am. I drive her to school and she rides the bus home unless she is staying after.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My kids have alarm clocks and still sleep through them! So yes, I end up getting them up.
    debj49

Answer by debj49 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I still get my 13 yo bt that's abt to change.
    melrose79

Answer by melrose79 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I get up before everyone and wait to see if they get up. If they arent up by the time I have the 5 yr old ready then I call upstairs and wake them.

Answer by gemgem at 8:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think teens should get themselves up bt if they're late too often we hafta pay the consequences as well bc we hafta deal w/ the school.
    melrose79

Answer by melrose79 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I do get my 15 y/o son up, but he is not a typical child and has other needs that must be attended to before he catches the bus to school. We are working on his independence skills, but we don't think he'll ever be independent of adult supervision.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2011