My toddler still wont sleep through the night!! :(

I'm exhausted!! My almost 22 month old has slept through the nigh a handful of times.. I feel I have tried EVERYTHING!! we have a routine we following everyday same time same order etc.. he takes 1 nap about 2 hours( we have also tried skipping the nap with no result but a cranky boy in the evening) I don't know what else to do.. but I need some help!! Any suggestions?????????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 yr old, almost 2 and a 1/2 doesn't sleep all night either. And neither does my 15 month old. I envy those who have babies that do. But it is actually not the norm, as we would think. My parents said I never slept through the night until I was 5 and started kindergarten. I too have a set routine. Whether my son is in his bed or with me he doesn't sleep. Technically no one sleeps all night, we have just learned to lay and relax and drift back to sleep. Babies and toddlers haven't learned how to do that yet. Hang in there, I feel your pain.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• What are you doing when he wakes up? He is old enough to understand that he must stay in his bed until it is time to get up. So, if he gets up and has the capability of wandering around, I would put him back in his bed and tell him he has to stay there. You can't make him sleep, but you can make him stay in his bed and be quiet so the rest of the family can sleep. If he's still in his crib, and you hear him, don't go into his room. You can go to the door and let him know that you are present, but you can also remind him from there that he must remain quiet while others are sleeping. There are gates that you can buy to put across the door-way so he can't get out of his room and wander through the house. You are going to have to retrain your boy, and it will take some time, but if you determine to make the changes, they will come. A spanking might even be in order to help establish the fact that you mean business.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I agree with PP. Not even adults sleep through the night all the time. My dd slept through the night until she go a toddler bed. When she woke up she knew she could get up. She is 4 and still comes in to wake me up in the middle of the night to lay with her. And thats with a full day of school and no nap. I never wanted a tv in her room but tried it thinkng that shed wake up and watch whats on and drift back off. Of course that didnt work either damn it! lol GL and know that this wont last for ever. I keep telling myself the same but it feels like forever
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My son doesn't sleep through the night either, but we stopped going in his room after it was bedtime. I leave him with books and games and he can play with those as long as he likes until he falls asleep. Granted he is still in his crib and can't go anywhere. That helps a lot! I can't wait to see what happens when he can move about freely!
    lifeasparents

Answer by lifeasparents at 9:09 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I totally agree with NannyB.

Answer by missanc at 9:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Neither my 2yr old or my almost 4 year old sleep through the night yet. GL
    ladyraven16

Answer by ladyraven16 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2011