How uncommon is this? (Gender mix up)

I hear ALL the time about women who believe they are having a girl through their entire pregnancy, and OOPS, the baby comes out a boy! Infact this just happened recently to a friend of mine. I was just curious if any of you know how often it happens the other way around? As in thinking you have a boy but you really have a girl. I'm expecting twin boys in March and I cannot even tell you how prepared I am with tons of boy clothes for these babies. I could probably fill 2 large dressers and have some left over. I guess it's just a secret fear of mine that one of my boys will come out a girl lol At 16 weeks I was told they were b/g twins and a few weeks later there was a very small peanut between the legs. Looked like a boy to me, but the other baby's was just SO obvious that there was no denying it.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My 3rd was "supposed to be" a boy. Had the ultrasound around 22 weeks just so we could find out the gender. Tech was 110% sure it was a boy, I thought it was a boy, DH thought it was a boy - yeah, we all saw it, and the cord was nowhere near that area! It was a huge surprise when out popped a girl 17 weeks later! Thank goodness we already had a girl so we had all the clothes, I hadn't bought much boy stuff just in case (I knew of other people within the 2 years before who'd also been wrong), so it wasn't a huge deal - picking out a name was the worst of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i think i happens more then people let on with the old scans...but with the new 4d scans its less likely......my second dd (we where told was a boy) had a baby shower and everything in blue and no it was a girl......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think it's more common to think you're having a girl and having the baby turn out to be a boy. Like you said - there is no denying it (usually!)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• A good friend of mine was supposed to have a boy and she turned out to be a girl! Its usually pretty uncommon. I wouldnt worry about it. Congrats!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My second son was supposed to be a girl. But the doctor insisted it was a boy based on his own ways lol. He was right. We found out the day before he was born he was in fact a boy. Thankfully, we didnt go buy anything for either sex because we wanted to be sure.

Answer by gemgem at 8:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It happened to my friends mother....She thought she was carrying a girl but she ended up having a little boy.
    We have had several ultrasounds and have been told he's a boy since 16 wks. But at my last ultrasound (christmas eve when I was 34 wks) they it wasn't obvious he was a boy. Again, that's probably the position he was in. But at the past couple of scans they haven't been able to double check because of how he's lying...so a tiny part of me is paranoid we'll end up with an Evie instead of an Ollie!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 9:09 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• we couldn't find out what our 2nd daughter was until 26 weeks the US tech and the doctor just couldn't get her legs open but they were thinking boy they tried 5 different times.... we ended up paying for a 3d/4d ultrasound once we moved and we could see she was all girl! good luck
    MikaylaZ

Answer by MikaylaZ at 10:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Just don't take the tags off the clothes if you are worried.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Don't take the tags off or buy gender neutral clothing.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2011