Mission Get My Bed Back Move Her To Her Crib

My Baby girl is 4months as of yesterday she's slept in the bed w/ us up until this point including most naps. I try and get her to fall asleep in her chair or crib during nap time but she'll only stay dwn for max 20min what is the best way to getting her to sleep in her own bed so I can get a better nights sleep what should I expect & how long will it take her to get use to the change?? HELP IM A DESPRATE MOM IN NEED OF MY BED BACK

Meesh87

Asked by Meesh87 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Pick a time (like the weekend) when you can afford some missed sleep. It will take a while, but if you are in for the long haul it can be done. If she wakes up after 20 min., let her cry herself back to sleep. Before putting her down, swaddle her in a blanket. It is comforting to them. She will eventually get used to self-soothing. It's you that it's hard on b/c you are desperate for sleep & I'm sure hate hearing her cry. Hang in there mama :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Im kinda in the same boat we never shared a bed and she has always had her crib/own room but i did always rock her and either breastfeed her or gave her a bottle before nap/bedtime. Thats what she is used to shes now 11months. I really want to get her to fall asleep on her own but im scared i waited to long. At around 6 months i did try the cry yourself to sleep method but it didnt work and went on for about a week one day she cryed for an hour straight and i just couldnt take it.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 9:35 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have been on this mission myself. First I started putting her down in the crib for naps but kept the night time sleep the same. She will likely wake up after 20 minutes or so in the crib, if you can pat her back or let her fuss for a minute and she'll go back to sleep that's great, otherwise just get her up and when she is ready to sleep again put her down in the crib for another nap. Eventually she will stay asleep longer in the crib. It also can help to have soft soothing music, or a fan for some white noise, and my DD preferred to be swaddled. Anyway, then once you get naptimes going in the crib you can try doing bed time. It helps to have a really set bedtime routine, we did bathtime, followed by bottle, a story, a song and then into the crib she went. I did a modified cry it out technique wherein I would put her in the crib and set a timer for 2 mintues, then go back in and soothe her by rubbing her back or (cont'd)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• even picking her up until she settled down, then back into the crib and set the timer and repeat until she falls asleep. Now I did all of this when my DD was between 6 and 7 months so she was slightly older, and she would still nurse at night once or twice so I would have to go and feed her and put her back down in the crib. But it did work, and with minimal misery to both of us. This was also about the time that I introduced a blankie to sleep with and a little stuffed animal, but 4 months may be a little young to have that in the crib.

Good luck to you. It's all worth it once you get to stretch out in your nice cozy bed without a baby cuddled next to you. Although savor the last few nights because once she's in the crib you will miss her now and then. ;)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• at leaste youre in your bed! lol. i have been on the couch since my baby came home, 5 weeks ago! she will only sleep in her pack n play for about 20 minutes during the day, and only about 2 hours at night. so for my husbands sanity i moved to the couch with her so he wasn't dead at work all day. he works in a warehouse so he needs to be alert. hopefully in the next few weeks i can get her in her bed..... i miss my mattress! oh and my hubby! lol
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would push the crib up to the bed, and take off the siderail...make it more like a cosleeper if that makes sense. Gently ease her to the crib mattress, but she will have the reassurance that you are right there, and still within arms reach =)
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have used a co-sleeper and have really benefitted from its use. It kept my baby nearby to me but in her own bed. So this way she knew she was close to me but in her own area. This made her transition into a crib much more simple and without any hassle. Try it. It is one of the successful methods. I got my co-sleeper from aBaby.com – http://www.ababy.com/subcategory.asp?CID=145.

diasymathew

Answer by diasymathew at 4:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2011