what should i do adult content

Ok I moved back home to take care of my grandma she is blind. Well any who my mom come over and I was using the 123 magic 4 my son it was working untill she told me to stop counting I'm looking at her and sayin to my self shut up. So my son did somethin else and I said that's 1 and he tells me to stop counting now he is not listing to me what should I do wit both of them

keona101

Asked by keona101 at 9:07 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• LOL- Isnt it great what they pick up? Just explain to him that the rules still apply to him. He is the child, you are the parent & he needs to listen to you- Period! If he questions it, just tell him his G-ma (your mom) wanted you to stop so you could talk to her, not so you would stop your technique.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:12 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would ditch the counting. Delayed obedience is disobedience and what you want to instill is instant obedience without delay, discussion or disgust. So tell him once and then discipline. That's probably where your mom was coming from. She just didn't take the time to fully explain it to you.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I dont really agree with NannyB. When a child is learning to listen and follow rules sometimes the 123 method works. You need to explain to your child that if you dont count, then he is just going to get in trouble quicker. Tell him that you counting is giving him time to make the right decision. and it is, as the child grows they do need that extra little bit of time to process the request and make the decision to comply. If the decision to not comply happens then he is aware that there will be consequences. Stick to your method and reenforce it. tell your mom that she raised her children, now its your turn although her opinions are appreciated, please do not discuss that in front of the child and do not contradict you in front of him either, it just makes your parenting harder.
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 10:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I agree with the counting, the 1,2,3 gives my DD time to make the right choice, and I think it teaches her to consider her options, which are usually to do what was asked or go sit in time out. I don't think her brain works fast enough to think ahead to a consequence, so the counting gives her a chance to reconsider and redirect herself, which is what I hope she will learn to do on her own one day. I would let your son know that you will keep counting and if he doesn't comply he will get his consequence or discipline or whatever you normally do. I think he will quickly go back to the routine, if he gets ignored when he tells you to stop counting he will realize it does him no good. And let your mom know that it isn't appropriate to contradict you in front of your son and that it will just confuse him and make it harder on him to learn. She really shouldn't do it period, but at the very least not in front of your son. Good luck
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2011