What would you do?

Last night my 13 year old wrote me the following letter:

"Dear Mom,

I think I need some help, I mean with like my issues and stuff. Because I can't think of anything else to do. And I know you don't really have anymore ideas. I know you don't really understand how I can be so sad when my actions show the total opposite. it's almost like I start to be happy and then I start to think about how I usually am sad inside and then it starts all over. i don't know if that made sense but it is kinda hard to explain. i think that it might be easier to talk to someone who I don't know and who doesn't really know me so that I won't have a reason to hold anything back. i know you always say that I can tell you anything, but for some reason I feel like it is too hard to talk to you."

Now mind you this kind of thing has been going on for more than 6 months. She does genuinely seem happy most of the time. She says that she is just acting. We have talked to our bishop and he has talked to her. I think I will show him the letter.

What would you do?

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 9:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• She is asking for a therapist. Send her to one.

Answer by gemgem at 9:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• What would I do? Take my daughter to a therapist, someone that specializes in teenagers and depression.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would have her speak with a counselor so that it can be determined if she is actually suffering from depression that needs treatment, or if it's just normal adolescent ups and downs.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would try and help her by immediately getting her to a family therapist. She sounds depressed, and is calling out for help. Listen and act.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:20 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• She is asking you for help and also asking for someone she does not know to help her..Sounds as tho she will be more open to talk to someone she does not have a personal relationship with. She may find it hard to be open with you and or your bishop..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would definately get her some counseling. She is ASKING for it! Your Bishop or another qualified professional should be able to help her. Make her an appt today! Dont wait. Good luck. I hope she gets back to herself soon.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• She's asking for someone she can confide in, and it's very brave of her to do so. Find a therapist that specializes in teens. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Show him the letter and ask his advice.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Be proud that you raised a daughter that is strong enough & feels secure enough to ask you to do this for her. Now go make her an appointment with a counselor/therapist.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Therapy, she is crying out for help and God bless your daughter because alot of teens hide it.....

She sounds like a wonderful little girl, get her the help she needs....... She may be depressed, you don't always need medicine but she is asking you too help. Help her.....

Good luck and be proud it sounds like you did a wonderful job raising her, and she will find her way with your help once again.....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2011