How do you think we should balance the budget?

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Most Americans think the United States should raise taxes for the rich to balance the budget, according to a 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair poll released on Monday.

President Barack Obama last month signed into law a two-year extension of Bush-era tax cuts for millions of Americans, including the wealthiest, in a compromise with Republicans.

Republicans, who this week take control of the House of Representatives, want to extend all Bush-era tax cuts "permanently" for the middle class and wealthier Americans. They are also demanding spending cuts to curb the $1.3 trillion deficit.

Sixty-one percent of Americans polled would rather see taxes for the wealthy increased as a first step to tackling the deficit, the poll showed.

The next most popular way -- chosen by 20 percent -- was to cut defense spending.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• How about we stop paying politicians and make the office be voluntary? The budget would be in line overnight.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:35 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• – Most Americans
    ----
    I'd like to see their definition of " Most Americans...."
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sixty-one percent of Americans polled

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• The poll included a random sample of 1,067 adults across the United States from November 29 to December 2. The margin of error may be plus or minus 3 percentage points, 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair said.

---
    Yeah...there it is.
    1067 people.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Jewjew - 1,067 is the "majority of Americans," didn't you know that?! :)

I hate the media's spin on things, I really do.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• the only poll I like to consider is the recent 2010 election. you know....where more than 1067 Americans showed up to voice their opinion and brought in over 690 new Republicans who believe OTHERWISE.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Scuba
    I hardly consider liberal 60 minutes and Vanity Fair as " The Media" LMAO
    I like how the OP believes this is actually 61% of Americans. OH....words have power I guess.....
    Depends on who the idiot is who is READING the poll.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sixty-one percent of Americans polled

--------------
    Errrrr.....wrong again. 61% of Americans were indeed NOT polled.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'm with you, JewJew. I prefer to get my news from more credible sources, like the National Enquirer. LOL
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2011