Tests following a second miscarriage

I am having my follow up appt. with my Nurse Practitioner next Friday as I miscarried for the second time this year and wondering if there are some specific tests that I should be asking for now that I have miscarried twice and in the first 8-12 weeks each time. There are no issues regarding getting pregnant and with both babies, they said it was due to chromosomal abnormalities that the babies miscarried. I am asking to be referred to an OB again and hope that some more tests can be done to possibly see what 'might' be the issue with each pregnancy loss.

miraclewaits

Asked by miraclewaits at 9:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Most doctors don't want to test until three consecutive miscarriages. Their rationale is that since the first trimester m/c rate is fairly high (about 1 in 5), it's more likely to have unrelated m/cs than to have an underlying cause. That being said, some doctors will do testing after two losses. I would specifically ask to have your progesterone tested when you become pregnant again, and would ask your doctor to check your blood for clotting factors before becoming pregnant again.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I really can't think of any but wanted too say, I will say a prayer for you and your baby...

Good luck!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thank you. We are TTC again once I have healed emotionally and physically from this recent loss.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sorry for your loss. Low progesterone levels are a reason for loss, but if they said it was chromosomal that is a possibilty.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have had 3 miscarriages all before 8 weeks. They usually won't test until you have 3 miscarraiges in a row and I did not I had my daugther in between them but after my 3rd miscarriage my doctor knew I wanted answers so he did test and it was low Progesterone levels that were causing all of them. I got prego again and had to be put on progesterone pills and took them for 14 weeks (they make you sick more than morning sickness) and I went to have a healthy baby 14 months ago.

I will NEVER know why I had my daughter in between the miscarraiges she was just a strong little one and was meant to be with us I guess. At 5 weeks I bled with her and thought I was going to lose her but they did an ultrasound and we could SEE the heartbeat at only 5weeks!! Nurse was shocked that we could but plain as day she had a strong heartbeat we could see!!! She was meant to be ours. I am truley blessed to have both girls.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 11:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thank you, Freela! I am definitely looking into my Progesterone levels as I am curious as to whether that had any part to play in both of my losses.......I had my Beta HCG checked a couple of weeks ago and again last week before I started m/c ing, but I did not have my Progesterone levels checked......I looked at the requisition so I knew. I am very resourceful and read alot (esp. as I had already miscarried once before) so now I do want to have that checked this time for sure....just to rule it out if it wasn't that at all. Then, it just means that I need to have other tests done to see what might be causing the recurrent miscarriages.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• LISTEN LIVE or DOWNLOAD ANYTIME FOLLOWING - YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS THIS EPISODE!
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/amerosradio

I'm going to be breaking a HUGE story on Ameros Radio next Tuesday. Eileen Dannemann from the National Coalition of Organized Women will be joining me to expose the over %2000 jump in miscarriages, stillbirths, and fetal demise when comparing 2008 to 2009 (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System). She has the V...AERS reports and the science, pointing towards a strong case for gross neglect by the CDC.

Here is the information we will be discussing:
    http://www.progressiveconvergence.com/H1N1-RELATED%20miscarriages.htm

tamik981

Answer by tamik981 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thanks girls! I am encouraged. I have heard and read that checking my Progesterone levels and blood clotting factors are two common ones to be tested for so I am definitely asking about those two.
    I just hope that these two losses were just unfortunate and as they were both in the first trimester, that the babies just had chromosomal defects and they couldn't survive anyway. There are sooooo many tests that can be done as our bodies can be so complex and it can take another loss or two before any underlying causes (if any) can be ruled out. I just hope that it isn't too complicated and that our next pregnancy just goes smoothly.
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2011