leaving the us as a permanent resident

Hello Ladies
i don t know if anyone has any addvice for me here or went thru the same problems i go throu.I am a permanent resident of the u.s.a since 2007 and my card expires in 2017 .We are stationed in fort lee va right now and getting ready to head to illesheim germany for 3 years ( on orders) in march .Now i called USCIS and they telling even if my husband is on orders iam not allowed to leave the country for more than 2 years or i will loose my status.Can anybody give me addvice on this.Thnak u

gibsonfam6

Asked by gibsonfam6 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Travel

• Bump!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have no idea, but here's a bump. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You can talk to his command or have him ask them. Maybe you can come back for a visit once a year to keep your status.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i dont know what advise to give you but heres a bump
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You cannot leave. You have a green card? It seems weird they wont allow you to leave with a green card? Once you have a green card it should allow you the come and go as you please. Contact the immigration office and find out what you need to do. If you green card is not 100% complete, or there is something going on there then you have to follow what they say. Going against it will lead to a penalty of not being allowed reentry to the states for a period of 1-10 yrs.

Answer by gemgem at 9:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Do what they tell you or you will lose. They do not play around. Contact an immigration lawyer for information.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:03 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• thank you for all of your answers ....yes immigration lawyer thats a good idea
    gibsonfam6

Comment by gibsonfam6 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Ditto to SweetLuci's advice.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• OMG.....you are at FT. Lee I was born in Hopewell but haven't been there in many years. Check with the Jag office on the post and see if they can help you or know where to go to resolve the issue. I am sure they have dealt with similar situations before so I am sure you will get this resolved. Good Luck!
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011