What would you do?

At christmas I bought my neice a present after opening it she started playing with it then she started ripping the pages and breaking the crayons, chalk etc that went with it. When someone said something to my sil she said "it's fine, whatever keeps her quite"

Now, my neice is having a birthday party (two weeks after christmas) They invite 30-40 people and all bring gifts. Am I being a jerk not wanting to buy her something? I feel like she has so many things and they don't even care if she treats them with respect. I am not made of money and it bothers me that the gift I get doesn't really mean anything to my neice anyway. When she opens the gifts she rips them open and throws them aside to get to the next one. What do you think? I know kids love to rip open presents and that isn't what bothers me it is the way she treats them and her parents seem to think nothing of he wreaking them right in front of you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Donate money in her name!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 12:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I was going to suggest that you just get her a stuffed animal or something, but I can see your point about the ungrateful attitude of everyone involved. Still, you don't want to show up empty handed...go to the dollar store and buy her a little stuffed toy and some bubbles or something, and be done with it.
    Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:25 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would get her something cheap or something she can't destroy. Good luck! My 4 year old does not act like that. He knows better. But also we have taught him to respect all people and things.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Get her something small and then wrap it in 17 boxes so she can have the time of her life ripping them all open. If anybody says anything just comment on how she enjoyed destroying her Christmas present and be sure to throw in something about it keeping her quiet for a long time.  Yes, I know it is a bitchy thing to do, but it can also make a point that your SIL (and brother) need to learn about raising a child.  Oh, perfect item for inside... plastic tiara.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:25 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Get her a pillow pet or something she cant break. Or just buy clothes. Thats the best option. Shell prob get enough toys from others. Also my dad got dd a pillow book! Its the neatest thing. Its a pillow and has cloth pages
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• How old is she?
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• And that was really rude of sil to say that! You spent money on something and she just tells you its ok cause shes quiet! Def rude.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• four, but don't you think no matter what age they should teach her respect and to not be so nonchalant about her breaking things?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Definatly! I can see a small toddler doing this but still doesnt mean that the parents cant take it from her and say no. Id be super pissed if my dd acted this way( she is also 4). Its rude and ungrateful. As I said just stick with clothes or something that cant get broken. My family buys dd bonds for her bday and Chritmas...along with toys too. Its a great idea and helps save for her future.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Get her a sweater or a pair of slippers and call it a day. I would ask sil what she is going to do when the object is bigger? Whatever keeps her quiet or whatever keeps her out of their hair?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 4, 2011