HELP!!!!! My 8yrold son is heading to juvy!

My 8 yr old son has starting having all kinds of problems with taking things that aren't his. At first it was only at home, but now it has spread to school. He is the youngest of our 4 and we've never had to deal with this type of behavior on this level before. HELP!!!!

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 10:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Call your local police station, talk to an officer that usually works with children, if possible. Take him into the station and make him tell the officer what he has done. A lil fear wont hurt at all. Hes, 8, he knows right from wrong and needs to own this. I also agree that counseling could help.
    my3girls6642

Answer by my3girls6642 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You need to get some help right now trust me get him into therapy now he is taking for a reason its best to find out now and to move fast i can say this because we had the same problem only ours went to juy for four years in and out. You must do something now. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'd say he may have a theft addiction. Professional help could teach him how to control his urges and stay on the right path in life. I'd say like prisons, juvenile detention centers are probably full of kids who will teach him how to be a better thief.
    Good luck, Momma, and I'm keeping you in my thoughts.
    I can't imagine what this has been like for you.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 10:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• One of my sisters is a clepto and has a theft problem. The first time she stole something was when she was four and took a pack of gum from the grocery store. She is 20 now, steals from my parents, our other siblings, stores and friends. No amount of punishment, both spankings and groundings did anything to change her ways. Looking back I think my parents should have sought professional help with her. She doesn't have a job, lives in my parents basement has been arrested for possession of alcohol and being a minor, she sneaks guys into the basement and is continuing to steal from my family but they don't have the heart to kick her out on the street even though she is influencing the younger ones.
    I suggest seeking professional help with your son, it will hopefully save a lot of heart ache further down the road.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Therapy. There may be underlying issues or disorders at play here. He needs some behavior therapy or just general therapy to help. You might also look into some community programs. Here we have what they call one on one workers. They have them in every states usually just under different names. They work with the child one on one and even go to school with them. They correct the behavior and work on skills so that they learn not to do the negative things. Usually, a therapist has to refer you. So start there, and ask for a referral so he doesnt get into trouble at school. It sounds like he would qualify and it is usually covered by insurance or medicaid.

Answer by gemgem at 10:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• He may have cleptomania, which is real. He gets satisfaction from taking things, he needs an ass whoopin. Maybe juvy might help out depending on how funded that stuff is in your state. Sometimes, juvy maked kids worse though...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You need to make him take back any thing he has taken no matter how small and make him apoligize so he knows how wrong it is to do this.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Well aside from therapy/counseling (which are needed) I would suggest something more hands on. Talk to the secretary at your local police station and see if there are any groups they have that can take ds around to see what could happen if the behavior keeps up. Maybe a little fear will help. Id also consider putting him in karate. Its a great way to learn disipline and respect.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have 4 and they are driving me insane, but when it comes to stealing they know better.

I will make them walk back into a store and appoligize, I don't care. If it is someone stuff, i will make them go right up to them an appoligize.

My kids are now 7/8/11/14 and don't do it, if I catch them doing it they will return it and be punished-no dsi, tv or what ever the one likes the most. He won't head to juvi, just keep working on it and remind him that it is wrong, and also, give him a peace of his own medicine take something he loves and tell him someone must have stole it, give him time to think and then tell him. The way you felt is the way the other person feels when you steal.... Sometimes that is all it takes... Good luck!!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Just get him in therapy and throw yourself on the mercy of the court. They don't want him in juvy

Answer by admckenzie at 11:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2011