For all you SAHM's....

Just curious...How many of you do it because you want to and can afford to? How many do it because you have no other choice? For those of you who have no other choice, do you feel happy or sad to be home with your kids? Do you regret not working outside your home or do you feel like you aren't contributing to your household? For SAHM's that have no choice, do you struggle or do you find yourself doing just fine?

goinginsane1

Asked by goinginsane1 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• Originally, this is what I wanted to do but now if I changed my mind I couldn't. I'm 100% fine with staying home to raise my own kids. I'm also homeschooling them :) I don't regret my decision one bit.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• i stay home b/ i can. once they are in school i am going to work. i love spending this time w/ the. i just feel like i should be here giving them the best love... love from a mom :D
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 1:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I do it because I want to and my hubby's ok with it. I enjoy being home after being in the workforce fulltime for 17 years and off and part time since I was 16.

I contibute a great deal to my home and to our bottom line by cooking all of our meals instead of eating out (which we did a lot more when I worked full time), cloth diapering our baby (instead of disposibles which cost a whole heckuva lot more), keeping the house tidy (which saves our relationship! lol) and spending at least part of my free time hunting up the best deals for the purchases we have to make.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• lol if i was smarter i would hs to!
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 1:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I was a stay at home mom for a year, but it wasn't my daughter's first year. We had to save a lot for me to be able to be home for a while. I loved it and I wished I could have kept it up forever. I'm a college grad, so when I had to go back to work it was pretty easy for me to find something suitable that paid, and I wasn't miserable to go back but I do wish I could have stayed home longer. I'm off work til I deliver due to toxemia (if I make it full term it will be another 9 weeks) plus the 6 weeks maternity leave, so I will definitely enjoy the time home with my kids before I have to go back to work.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I love being a SAHM. I have a 2 year old boy that is wonderful.I love every minute I have with him.I went back to work for about 2 ,months when he was 1 year old and I hated it.I never wanted to leave him at daycare.I think I cried more than he did.We have done without some things so I could stay at home,but it was well worth it and it still is.I do it because I want to and my DH wants me to.
    wifey2006

Answer by wifey2006 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• It's a bit of both. We cannot afford for me to work. If I did work it would cover the gas for the car and daycare and that would be it, so there would be no reason for me to work. However, I originally decided to stay home because I believe it is best for my children. I do get somewhat depressed from time to time due to never getting out but my husband is helping me with that by kicking me out sometimes, lol.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I'm a sahm because I chose to be and my hubby fully supports it. He has a good job, and there is no reason for me to have to work. We're planning on homeschooling, so it just made sense for me to stay at home. I'm lonely once in a while, but I solve that by having friends over or texting during the day...
    Babyness

Answer by Babyness at 3:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My DH had been bugging me for years to become a SAHM, when I got prego with number 3 it just made sense for me to stay at home because I wouldn't be bringing home much after daycare, gas, ect. But he also had been bugging me because we could afford for me not to work
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I'm a SAHM, but I also do homedaycare for two other kids, and have a photography business. Right now things are a little tight, ok REALLY tight! At this moment I'm wondering how we'll pay for Xmas this year. But, I'd rather be home with my kids and buy less gifts, than leave them at a daycare all day just so they can have more material things in there life.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 7:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2008