Should special sale prices be honored on exchanges?

My daughter received two of the same DS games for Christmas. One from her sister and one from her Grandmother. The one from her Grandmother came with a gift receipt and was bought when the DS games were on a special sale; buy one get one for $5. The one that we were returning happened to be the one that was $5 (the lesser of the two) so the store offered me $5 toward the exchange (I pointed out I could have tried (but probably wouldn't have been successful) to get the other receipt and exchanged it for full price). Their $5 offer - this didn't feel fair to me that I was going to have to pay the difference between the full price and the $5. The manager came and she said that it was only special DS games. I asked her which ones because I was willing to pick one of those. She went to find the ad. We waited over an hour and she couldn't find it but ended up honoring the exchange at $5. I called my mother and she said when she bought it the sales person said there were no exclusions. When I got home, I googled the ad from the store for that sale date and found it did not EXCLUDE many of the DS games. It applied to games that were between $29.99 and $39.99 (which was the price of the new one we were exchanging for)! I don't feel we were wrong to get an even exchange because it was an unopened game for an unopened game within a reasonable amount of time, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one that would have been taken advantage of.

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 10:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Shopping

• They should only honor the sale price on the specific game on sale. I mean, how fair is to rip off the store for the difference in price?
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 10:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Did you see the game you were exchanging? How much was that? That should be the amount you are allowed to exchange for. Go to a different store and don't bring the receipt. Just say you want to exchange the game. See what happens.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:48 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I do understand your feeling, but look at it another way...she paid $5 for it, so why would you be entitled to more than that back? The manager went out of her way to make you happy, giving you more value, a game that could have been sold for $29.99-39.99, so why are you upset?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:48 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Your receipt said $5, so that's all they have to give back to you.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No - you're missing the point. Shouldn't they still honor the sale as buy one get one for $5? I wasn't asking for a refund (then I would have taken the $5). Shouldn't I have still gotten one for full price and one for $5 when MOST ALL DS games were in the sale?
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Did you return two games that were part of the buy one get free sale? If not, then no.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 3:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011