Do I have to quit breastfeeding for PPD meds?

I am going to the doctor today for postpartum depression. I've been breastfeeding for almost a year now and I'm worried that I'll have to take meds that will cause me to have to quit breastfeeding. I have almost all of the symptoms. How likely is it that I'll have to quit breastfeeding to take PPD meds? Can someone with experience tell me how it worked out for you? What are the different treatments? I've already been to counseling and I got a little bit better but not enough. If you had to take meds, how did you feel while you were on them? I'm nervous because I've never been medicated for depression and have no idea what to expect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Health

• Depends on the meds. Some are safe to take, some are not.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If you need meds make sure your Dr. knows you are breastfeeding and want a med that is safe to continue.. If you don't tell them, they will just give you whatever medication comes to mind...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'm aware of that but specifically, which meds are safe and which mess are not?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Your doctor is unlikely to know which meds are safe and which are not. Talk to a lactation consultant or La Leche League leader. DO NOT walk out with a prescription that you don't know is safe, call a LLL leader today and find out which ones to request. Go in with a list of safe meds and ask your doctor to pick the most appropriate from that list.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• check out www.kellymom.com. It's a great resource.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• kellymom.com
    research before you get on something!
    JT32606

Answer by JT32606 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2011