how do you get your 8 & 9 year old to keep their rooms clean??

JOR_HAIL

Asked by JOR_HAIL at 10:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• For my 11 yr old SS, I helped him clean and then I took a picture of the room. We printed it out as an 8x10 and put it in a frame on his wall. Everyday, if by bedtime, it doesn't look like that (or really close to it), I take whatever is out of place and he doesn't get it back.

Goodwill loves us!

My DD (3) already knows to pick up since I started her early.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My girls don't get to do stuff they want to do if their rooms are a wreck. Oh you want to watch TV? Okay, after your homework is done and your room is clean. Oh you want to invite a friend over? Okay, after your chores are done and your room is clean.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• First off, you may have to get in and help them get it clean in order to keep it clean. One way to clean is to do it in sections, small ones that they can handle. Have them pick up all their clothes 1st. Then pick a corner and have them clean from the bottom up. Floor to dresser surfaces. Have a trash can, a give away bag, and a laundry basket handy.

After the room is completely clean to your satisfaction, have a short easy chore check off chart for every evening.....clothes in basket, toys away, and clean clothes in drawers. At the end of the week, if every check off is done, then all that should happen on the weekend is sweeping the floor and changing the sheets. And don't forget it isn't too early to teach them how to do laundry. And reward at the end of a month for checking off all their chores everyday.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• she is an adult now and is very respectful and appreciative of all she has.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I go through their rooms after they go to school. Anything left out of place, including their bedding, goes away. If they want it back, they have to put everything back into it's rightful place. One time my hubby actually took out their beds! Their faces were priceless!! Sure showed them we meant business, though, & they have yet to get that bad again (knock on wood). If they keep their rooms clean consistently for a month they get to choose an activity to do either as a family or with mom & dad alone. They really love that! It's only offered once a month, though.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 11:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Each week it is a chore, she likes her allowance. Also if it isn't clean then the stuff on the floor goes in a garbage back to not be seen for a month.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• The room has to be cleaned and other chores done before they get free time for tv or computer. We made a chart, they check it off as they do it. Under cleaning room it has bed made, all toys stored, book in bookshelf, dirty clothes in hamper, clean clothes in closet, so there's no argument about what needs to be done. If I later see that something was checked, but not done, they lose 30 minutes of free time.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:03 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• When my dd was young I was so tired up always picking up after her and having to ask over and over again. So, I had a rule, I would tell her once and if I had to pick it up then I would take it and give it to good will so that a child who appreciated and respected their things would have a chance to have it. I explained that lots of kids don't have what she did so leaving things laying on the floor where they could get broken or walked on was not appreciating them. It took ONE time for something to leave our house and never come back for her to pick up her things.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• A system of punishment and rewards did the trick for me.

Answer by older at 12:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Tell them to clean it if they don't have consequences for them.
    Anonymous