Why do they say to sleep on your left side while your pregnant?

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Blood flows to the placenta and the baby easier that way. It's not going to kill you if you can't stay on your left side. I sleep on my left, my right, and my back most nights. You have to stay comfortable however you can, yanno?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• It's because your heart pumps your blood out of the left side of your heart, circulating through your left half first and then back around to the right side of your body to where it enters the right side of your heart. The concern is that your weight will hamper your circulation and could deprive your baby and organs of oxygen rich blood.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Exactly what the above people said. You shouldn't lay flat on your back after the fourth month of pregnancy because the weight of the baby can cut off the supply coming in underneath (imagine sitting on a hose: the water has a lot harder time coming out when it doesn't have enough room to flow). If you wake up and you're on your back, just roll onto your side, it's ok...just don't conciously lay on your back. I used a body pillow to help me sleep on my side, and now (two months after delivery), I still WANT to sleep with it!

Either side is ok to lay on, but the left is best for blood flow.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Its best for blood flow. Trust me, my fiancee is an EMT and every time i would turn he had to remind me to turn over.
    Jackie0216

Answer by Jackie0216 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2008