how do YOU save money while shopping?

JOR_HAIL

Asked by JOR_HAIL at 10:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Shopping

• Buy the cold stuff first so I don't dwadle around. Keep a list of what needs bought and list items in the orders of the aisles that way I won't be scanning each aisle trying to find it.

Shop for items at a store that only carries them...groceries at a grocery store, clothes at a clothing store (no walmart or target)...you may pay just a hare more but you will save by not being tempted by things that you aren't there to shop for.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• window shopping is the only way to save.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Compare the unit cost of the product and how it is packaged (stores reveal that in the posted price). Usually, the smaller the package, the more convenient, the higher the cost. So buy in bulk and repackage/freeze in smaller portions.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Always use coupons, you would not believe how much you save....

Sale, clearance, and best of all thrift shops.... I usually get a few things from there.....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I try to buy store brands when grocery shopping and coupons
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:03 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I look for 2 for 1 sales of things we normally use when grocery shopping. I use the ads to see what's on sale, and make my menu by that. I buy what's in season in produce, cheaper and better tasting. I buy frozen when fresh produce isn't in season. Two department stores in my area give an extra 15% off on Tuesdays, that's on top of their coupons or sale items. I buy at the end of the season for clothes.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:07 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I use coupons, buy store brands and check out in store sales. Sometimes my store has a 10 for $10 (mix & match) stock-up sale and I will stock up on things then rather than pay full price later on.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We buy store brand for just about everything (including diapers and formula) and we buy in bulk for a lot of things like toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags...at Costco. We also get our meat from Costco. Buying in bulk comes out expensive but we get more for our money and with a family of 7 we need the large amounts anyway.
    I never found coupons beneficial. We don't get the paper so no coupons anyway and what few show up in our mailbox are great deals but they are never things we need or usually buy or we could get them cheaper buying the store brand to begin with. We use our Costco coupons, though, when we remember them. We also have a Grocery Outlet here and shop there first. We saved like $40 we shopped there last (compared to prices we would spend at a regular store).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Walmart has some items we use weekly for cheaper. So I get those staples there.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011