How do they get more sleep?

I read a couple of moms on here say that if you bf you'll get more sleep than if you bottle feed. How is that true..(maybe a silly question but I thought breast milk is digested a lot faster than formula so baby has to eat more often??)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i also heard that with bottle feeding they stay full longer and sleep longer but with breastfeeding u dont have to get up and make a bottle, u dont even really have to wake up just grab ur baby and open ur shirt... i think ppl just want to promote breastfeeding by saying anything even though it should be a personal decision based on what the mom wants to do
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I honestly think it's the baby NOT really what he/she is eating...but that's just me!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• If you cosleep and breastfeed, then it makes sense because the baby can just reach over and get the milk. I can't cosleep for medical reasons, so that wouldn't have worked for me.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 2:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My guy sleeps in a bassinet next to our bed and I breastfeed. When he wakes up during the night, I just lay on my side and put him next to me. He eats what he wants and then snuggles up to my boob to sleep, and I don't really need to pay attention to what's going on. ;) If I were holding a bottle, I'd need to stay awake.

When we first came home, I'd sit in my glider to feed him and oftentimes would fall asleep while doing so, my husband took several pictures of me sprawled out in the chair with my boob hanging out (um, can you say DELETE?!), both me and baby totally conked out.

Breastfeeding also releases some kind of hormone that makes you sleepy, so I think it's EASIER to fall asleep.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Breastfeeding is a heck of a lot easier than making a bottle in the middle of the night, and it releases hormones that make you really mellow. I would frequently conk out during breastfeeding, even during the day. LOL
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2008