Who thinks Unions help an industry or bankrupt it?

I think GM, Ford and pretty much every manufacturing company has been over managed by these unions, now I don't know a lot about the unions but if they are contributing 200 million to campaigns that money is coming from somewhere and maybe unions need to get done away with. I'm sure someone will correct me and I'm sure the unions do good things too but I'm pretty sure they get union dues from the workers who exist under them and they are making it impossible for American manufacturers to survive.

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 1:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I am not for BANNING unions. That would be a limitation of free speech and freedom to assemble. But I think that employees should always have a choice in whether they want to be part of the union, and employers should have a choice on whether to FIRE everyone if they attempt to unionize. Its all about FREEDOM of CHOICE.
    whohannah

Answer by whohannah at 1:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• A Big portion of the price of a brand new car comes from the cost of transporting the new car to the dealership which can ONLY be done by a Teamster New car carrier driver and truck so in that case Unions are BAD. On the other hand the union is responsible for getting the workers insurance and other benifits that they would not have gotten otherwise. Unions keep the wages fair the insurance and benifits available and the labor laws enforced. But 200 million to a political campaign is just WRONG. Spend that money on the members of the union I say. Not special intrest groups and politics.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I think when unions were first started, it was for a good cause. Now, all they do is take money from the employee and disable the employer. I would expect it to get worse after the EFCA passes (and it will), as there are very stringent guidelines as to how negotiations will take place. The real problem is that even if unions are able to do good things for employees right now, after the EFCA passes, the employees won't have a private vote and will more than likely succume to a popular vote, even if it's not right. You will have to vote in public against your fellow union members, and if you have ever watched union protesters and the lengths they will go to get their way, I don't really see this happening. It literally puts the futures and livelihood in Government Arbitrators hands. NOT GOOD AT ALL.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Oh, sorry, to answer the question, I think in the Auto Union case, it will bankrupt it (if govt. doesn't bail them out).
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Here is a short rundown of some negative to employees when EFCA passes:
    1. employee will have little to no opportunity to hear from unions and employer before committing
    2. employee won't have input on certification (only 51% of emp. need to sign a card and 49% my not even be aware)
    3. employee loses secret ballot election
    4. employee loses the right to vote on a contract (if union/employer can't agree it goes to govt. arbitration
    5. employee loses the right to decertify the union for at least 28 months.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Ok apparently I spoke out of turn as I was just told by one of my friends unions are crucial for fairness in manufacturing companies, good gosh can't we as Americans and American companies sacrifice a little bit? Is it too much to take a less exorbitant salary or pension so there is more to go around for these employees that have to belong to these unions in order to be treated fairly.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Does anyone know the percentage of companies that are currently unionized and what their stautus fiscally is?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I believe Unions had their place at one time. But now, OSHA regulations protect workers safety. I don't GET unions. If I have a business, why does a third party have a right to come in and say what I can or can't pay my workers? If I have a housekeeper, my neighbor doesn't have the right to come in and tell me that the housekeeper can't scrub the toilet....if I've hired her to do that, then that's her job. My neighbor shouldn't decide what I pay her...that is for her and me to discuss. If she isn't cleaning the house to my specifications and refuses to come in for several weeks because I haven't vacumed the floor properly...why can't I fire her? Likewise, if I am the housekeeper, why does Jane get to decide if I should lay out of work, put my financial stability at risk and cause me to potentially lose my job because Sarah down the street isn't getting $10 more dollars a week?
    Iheartsushi

Answer by Iheartsushi at 2:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Growing up with a father who is a GM employee, I think unions are BAD.I think originiall unions started out w/good intentions for people that were way under paid, but now they have turned into a monster that hurt the economy and produce a lesser quality product.
    ~Union workers cost more, because they make more money, which results in higher goods and services, but they don’t produce a BETTER quality product (compare GM to Honda’s non-union product)
    ~When the workers feel they need a raise, more benefits, etc. they can go on strike.
    ~The UAW (for example) doesn't make its own jobs: it takes money from those who have jobs.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• ~Unions “fight” for as many jobs as possible, which restricts the employer’s ability to turn a profit, and in the long run only endangers the job security of everyone that works for the company. WHICH is one part of GM, FORD, CHRYSLER and EVEN the Airline Industry.
    In today’s current capitalist society, the unions don't need to exist to protect anybody's wages or job security. The nature of the free and competitive job market does that automatically. Well could have, if the union wouldn’t have slowed growth down with high demands and expectations.
    grlygrlz2