Opinion: If Abortion is a RIGHT, then how could one be against the RIGHT to bear arms?

Gun RIGHTS: Do you beleive in the Second Amendment Right to Bear Arms?

Abortion RIGHTS: Do you beleive in Roe Vs Wade and it is a woman's Choice to have an abortion?

The right to an abortion, like the right to keep and bear arms, flows from our right and responsibility to govern our actions by our own consciences, even in matters of life and death.

Bear Arms: Directly, the right to own a tool.

Indirectly, the right to use that tool in defense of your life and liberty.

Abortion: Directly, the right to end the life of a human embryo or fetus.

Indirectly, the right to govern your own body and your personal resources as you see fit.

Bear Arms: Explicitly enumerated in and protected by the Constitution.

Abortion: Protected by a Constitutional “penumbra” vaguely defined by the Court.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think we should have the right to bear arms. Not only for self defense, but for hunting, gun collections, stock protection, etc. If people would treat them with respect then they would not be an issue. If I am sitting in the kitchen cutting up fruit and someone with the intent to do my family or I harm, I would use the knife.
    As for abortion after 7 weeks into the pregnancy it shouldn't be allowed(the baby has a heart beat and is now a living thing), before then though you are technically cutting into our right to freedom of religion. Therefore it should be left to the mother to make that decision.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Abortion: Applies to adult females, even violent felons, non-citizens, and (in some jurisdictions) minor children without parental oversight. In any case, though, only to females. Males, even the fathers, have no legal standing in most jurisdictions.

Self Defense: Sole legal justification is defense against a direct, violent threat. In some jurisdictions, you must make every effort to escape before mounting a potentially lethal defense, even allowing an aggressor to chase you from your home or business.
    Abortion: No legal justification required. Personal justification ranges from blocking an imminent threat to the mother’s health, to ending an inconvenient annoyance.
    Anonymous

• I believe every human on this earth should have the right to choose what is "right" for their own bodies and lives. Law abiding citezens should also keep their right to have and bear arms and protect themselves from criminals.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• if those arms were use for protection great. but we all know they are not.
    Anonymous

• I believe in personal responsibility. I can decide what my morals tell me to do, and you can do the same for yourself. As long as my choices aren't stepping on anyone elses rights, then there is no conflict.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 2:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I feel that it is a woman's choice to have an abortion. BUt Federal Funding should not be used in cases other that what is outlined in the Hyde Ammendment.

I feel that it is our right to bear arms. FOR WHATEVER reason, it is our right.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• grlygrlz2 I feel that it is our right to bear arms. FOR WHATEVER reason, it is our right.

I'm sure the students that did the shooting in columbine agree with your WHATEVER reasons
    Anonymous

• earlier today someone responded to my response which indicated i am pro-choice but that we go too far with right to bear arms. since i am limited in characters, i chose not to expand on that. but, my impression is that the amendment was originally included for military (under historical circumstances it was very important to provide that right). i have problems with normal people having access to guns designed strictly for killing.. those should be limited to military. i feel with concealed weapons, they're good when you have it for protection, but it also makes it easier and less legal implications for people who intend to commit crimes with guns. i am an animal rights person, but i understand that hunting has value when we have encroached upon natural habitat and upset the ecological balance. I am hopeful that those who hunt use the whole animal.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• personally i feel if there were more gun control less people would feel like they needed to protect themselves with a gun. i wonder really what % of guns have been used for protection and what % have been used to commit crime (talking non-hunting guns). to me it's like locks... "they're there to keep honest men honest" - do we invite use of guns with availability? I don't really know what i think about gun control and all that... these are just some thoughts. i do have very strong opinions about abortion rights, however. and overall, i am very much supportive of protecting our rights... i guess i'm just rambling more about the nature of the beast... abortion isn't a simple topic either.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I don't agree with the right to bear arms under the notion of protecting yourself from criminals. Unless you have the preconceived notion that your going to shoot someone, the crime would more then likely be over before you had the chance to get to your gun. I do believe though that criminals would be less likely to attack someone if they knew or thought they knew that they're victim had a gun and could use it against them.
    Cont.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2008