Potty training a girl..

We are starting potty training for our 19 month old this week. She already likes flushing her poop down the potty, tells me when she is going to go, and is very smart and wants to please. But I have been reading up on all the different methods.. And so i bring it to cafemom...
How old was your little girl when you potty trainined? How long did it take? Did you use a wetting doll? Or their favorite doll? What kind of potty did you get? Any tips?
I know this will take a while, but i have seen different approached like a weekend, or just five hours... What worked for you???
thank you mamas!

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 11:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We started when she was about 2 1/4 it was in the summer and I let her be naked for a week and the potty chair followed us everyehere... in the house and outside. I reminded her often and soon she got the hang of it and rarly had accidents and was trained in time for our son to arrive in September!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My daughter was 3. She had a potty seat that sat on the regular potty. The very first time she did it, we took her diapers away completely. She was fully trained in 2 days. I stayed home with her for 3 days and took her every hour or so. We bought her character underwear that she loved. Get a lot! They go through it in the beginning. The first day she probably had 12 accidents. The second day 5 accidents. The 3rd day none. She had a doll that sat on the potty, but never really played with her. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We do elimination communication (EC) and started at 3 months. It isn't about training, it's about normalizing the potty process. Children naturally don't want crap stuck to their butts. So teaching them to communicate their need to go and not worrying about mistakes, they slowly learn over time. The idea is to start very young so by the time they are walking, they are pottying unassisted.

The principles still work with a toddler. Take off the diaper and use regular underwear, offer the potty to the child often, always offer the potty 15-20 minutes after eating or drinking, be mindful of the child's natural rhythm, don't dwell on missed potties, let the child see the family use the potty.

We have a BabyBjorn potty. I got the $15 one at Babies R Us. It's simple. It's a seat to potty on. Grandma got this stupid singing potty and DD wont use it. She used it once and it freaked her out.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We started my oldest at 18 months since she could hold it for 4 hours while awake and had dry diapers at night. Once she had the concept down, we used gerber cloth undies and went frequently.
    Now my 2 yo I could have down at 18 months but to much was going on. At 2 she had a bad rash and went commando for a day and potty trained herself.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thank you Ladies sooo much!!
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I know this is young, but I started my daughter when she was 11 months because she was already walking at 10 months. She was completely trained at around 19 months.
    my_jasnkiki

Answer by my_jasnkiki at 1:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We just waited until our daughter was ready, and told us she wanted to use the potty and she was done. Literally - she asked to use the potty, and was done that afternoon. She still has a diaper when she sleeps, but that's it. She was older though, but I didn't have to train her, or time when she went to use the bathroom, I just waited and then she did it herself in 1 day!
    mommy2kaelynn

Answer by mommy2kaelynn at 2:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011