Family Eating Area Needed!!

Our kitchen/family room is a combined open area but the kitchen has linoleum and the family room carpet. We have no room for a kitchen table & chairs for our family of six and I don't want to turn the dining room into the main eating area.

Two of our kids are still young and our dining room table is an heirloom, myself being the 7th generation to own it. Would the easiest thing be to just rip up the carpet & linoleum? We don't have the budget for new floors right now, but we could seal the concrete and just deal for now, I guess.

The reason for not wanting to eat on the dining table yet is that my youngest destroys just about everything.  He's eight but has amazing strength.  When he was two he ripped two bedroom doors completely off the hinges.  The kids don't like eating in the dining room unless we get together with my sister: we are a family of six and so are they.  Our table is the only one big enough to get our family around.  My kids are aged from 15 to 8 and they love being in the kitchen/family room area.  They feel comfortable there and it's where we have all our great family dinners and discussions.

Family dinner is very important to us and I want the kids to be comfortable, but I also want to start graduating them to the "big people" table.  I just don't want my demolition kid going bonkers on my heirloom!  We already have pads and tablecloths, so that's not an issue.  My great-grandmother had them made when she inherited the table through marriage.

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 11:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I understand that the dining room table is an heirloom (mine is too), but what I don't understand is what that has to do with using it for meals? You can have a custom pad made for the table top, then a cloth or vinyl tablecloth on top of that to protect the table from the inevitable spills & splashes little children have. If the floor beneath the table is carpet & you want to keep it clean, you can get a section of carpet or linoleum from a big box hardware store (like Home Depot or Lowe's) that is sized just big enough to fit under your table to protect the floor while you eat. If there are meals when you don't all eat together (eg..kids having an afternoon snack), do you have a section of counter in your kitchen that you can put stools up to for a couple of people at a time to sit & eat?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Wow, you don't want your children to eat on an heirloom table?? A table that generations of children have eaten on? You can have custom made padding and use table clothes. I'd never let the age of a table stop me from using it for family dinners.

As for the floor, go to a cloth store like JoAnns and get a large piece of cloth backed vinyl and use it as a mat under the table.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• The purpose of a dining room IS to be the main eating area - especially if you don't have room elsewhere for the family. Cover the table, get a rug for the floor, and let your kids sit at the family table, with the family, to eat. I don't know either why you'd have to rip up carpet & linoleum and have sealed concrete for flooring, what's wrong with what you have? I'm sorry, but you have some issues if you're struggling with things like this.
    Anonymous