Why is my cat dumping his food dish?

My cat has three bowls. Two are joined together, one is supposed to be for his food and the other his water. Well his water is in a separate bowl. So we use one for his dry food and the other for his wet food, but why all of a sudden (just this week) is he picking up his joined dish with his teeth and dumping it? I thought at first it was because it was a different brand of food, but now he has his regular brand and is still doing it. Its getting to the point that I may start to put his food dishes out only twice a day for an hour or so. It creates such a mess when he does it, and I don't find this behavior "cute". Please understand that I am not a cat person, but my DH and DD are, so help me understand this please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Pets

• my dogs do the same darn thing. i am not sure why but it is a pain!
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 11:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Try cleaning it. Cats get picky and don't like dirty dishes I have to clean mine once a week or she will knock it off her little table and not eat from it. And same with the water she refuses to drink from it if it isn't fresh. If your cat is still doing this buy heavier dishes that make it more difficult for the cat to knock them over.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Cats a picky and rotten. Did something change in the household? When I changed my work schedule (when I was working) my cat would drag the water dish accross the kitchen floor.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40894710/ns/health-pet_health/

You might find an answer in here. Otherwise, my cat started burying her food. She now drags things to her dish to cover it with because the bowl is too big for her to knock over. We had a single mouse that I think was stealing some of her food but that was a month ago! She still does it even though the mouse problem is taken care of. Drives me crazy.

meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Perhaps get a weighted bowl instead?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Because he can:-P

Maybe try putting the cruchies on a plate. Some cats get offended when their whiskers hit the sides of a bowl.

JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 12:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My cat used to do that... now, he eats off his own plate lol... he doesn't do it anymore.
    -LucyInTheSky-

Answer by -LucyInTheSky- at 11:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My dog wont eat out of slightly dirty dich that he even dirtied up though he will eat off the ground, floor,... and he has to see me actually wash his dishes or he still refuses sometimes, they all get picky sometimes, a momma cat I used to go sit for wouldnt drink her water and would push it away then look to me, apparently her mom forgot to tell me she started only drinking water when it was poured from her mom's (my friend) water cup so I had to use friend's cup to get water then pour it into momma kitty dish then she would drink it. No one knows why but that's just how it had to be done or she would scoot dish around/away.She also had to eat tuna off a plate and dry food out of a bowl.--good luck figuring it all out,LOL.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 9:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• wearing crownshe might be unhappy with something. they are so princessy that's one of the reasons i like them, it is cute imo

maya123

Answer by maya123 at 3:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2011