Any tips for getting rid of kids' toys?

I just checked out my kids' rooms. My daughter is 7, and shares a room with our youngest daughters, one who is going to be two next week, and the other is 3. My son has a room of his own since he is the only boy. Now, the girls' room is obviously much bigger, at least twice the size of my son's. However, there are just SO many toys in there. Some of them probably haven't been played with in months. I am just torn because my younger two girls will probably grow into some of the toys that are up there (ie- my 3 yr old will soon want to play with toys my newly turned 7 yr old has outgrown and my 2 yr old is already starting to play with her older sister's toys). I don't know what I should donate/get rid of, and what to keep. We have no storage in this house, at least not until we can get a dehumidifier for the basement. I can't wait until tax refunds (when we can buy one) to go thru all this stuff because it's giving me panic attacks! lol
What are some tips for cleaning out your kids' rooms? What kinds of things do you get rid of and what do you save?

Momma24Cuties

Asked by Momma24Cuties at 11:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Some things I won't get rid of, like Fisher Price toys. They're classics and durable enough to pass to the next generation.
    Lucikly I have a summer home which I call the island of misfit toys. Some things go there. Things that are cheap or not in 100% condition, I post on www.freecycle.org. Things that cost a little more, or are in really good condition get sold at my annual yard sale or Craigslist.org. My rule is if it hasn't been played with in 6 months, out it goes. Which usually co incides with their Spring birthdays and Christmas.
    Hope that helps.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 11:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• things with lost piece or that I hated often get tossed
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I forgot about Freecycle!! My kids play with most of their stuff until it either breaks or gets so old and dirty that it's impossible to salvage. I just have a hard time because it seems like they won't play with something for months, and then the day after I get rid of it, they seem to want to play with that very thing.
    Momma24Cuties

Comment by Momma24Cuties (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• gud luck i been throwing out toys since november to make room for the xmas stuff and its still too many toys she still have unwrapp xmas gifts that im not leting her open cuz its no room all due to her grandma lol
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Have them help. Any toys that are obviously broken or missing vital pieces get trashed.
    Then those toys that the children have out grown, but you want to keep for grand children - clean up and store in a labeled plastic bin in the attic or high closet shelf.

Toys they are ready to get rid of and you don't want to keep - call your local women's shelter, homeless shelter, DSS and donate.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have two girls and we let my youngest inherit form her older sister. If it is broken I would toss it. Also I have the girls go through there toys near christmas time we donate and reorganize were they go. If they have to much to keep their rooms or playroom clean then something needs to go. So they have to find a home for it to keep it. My 5 yo has trouble giving things up, I have her priorities her toys and ask her how much she really plays with it. She usually agrees with letting some go.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We usually boxed up toys that hadn't been played with for awhile and put them away. If they kids' didnt ask about the whereabouts of toys in the box for a couple of months, we passed them on, sold them, etc. If there are toys that your younger girls will enjoy when they are a bit older, try to find a way to store them until then. Another thing I did, was box up toys and put them away. After a few months I took them out and boxed up toys that the kids seemed to be tired of and replaced them with the ones that had been previously boxed up. The kids usually kinda thought they got new toys....LOL
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• LOL... I'm 24.. I better not have grandkids for at least 25 years. I'm probably not going to save toys that long. We don't have an attic, or appropriate shelving for right now, which makes saving things really hard. I know I need to get rid of broken stuff, etc. It's just hard trying to decide what they have and haven't played with. My kids are 7,5,3,and almost 2. If I asked them to help me, we wouldn't get rid of anything.
    Momma24Cuties

Comment by Momma24Cuties (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sell at consign shops, give to charities, and toss broken ones.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• give to charity..eran extra cash by doing a yard sale...see if you have any consign shops that buy toys..I always throw out broken toys..
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2011