What do you think..I am not throwing a party for my 5 year old..we will do a special day out celebration for her (her, her daddy and I)

I don't have time to send out invites. My daughter's birthday is only 4 days from now. It lands on a Saturday, which is perfect! My husband and I plan to take her out to do something fun; she gets to pick. I will make a cake or we will buy one and celebrate with her grandparents and uncle(he is 11)..she adores him. I'm just worried that by not trying to have her a "real"party she will be hurt. This year I wanted to do something different. Just her, her daddy and I. What do you think? I'm looking for positive, helpful feedback. Thanks.

Note: She has recently said she wants to go bowling. This is probably what we will do for fun, then cake with the family and balloons of course! :) thanks for the feedback..it made me teary eyed! :*)

myfirstloves

Asked by myfirstloves at 11:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• good

Answer by admckenzie at 11:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sounds great to me! Tell her how special it will be. You'll get enough feedback from her to know whether she's okay with it or not.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think she will have more fun this way. Too many people can overwhelm a child. I think you're making a wise choice.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Wonderful idea. What you have described IS a party with very special invitees! As my son tells me, all you need is a party hat to make it a party for his four and six year olds. Enjoy.........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think that iss a wonderful idea!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• They do not have to have big party's every year.

This year my 7 yr did not have a big party. She brought cookies to school. Then on her birthday. We went and got donuts for breakfast and we made her birthday cake together(she loved helping and decorating it). We went to Space Aliens and her Grandpa and Auntie came(she has been asking to go here since Jan 2010). She had so much fun.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think it is a GREAT idea!
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I did that for my this year but it was just me and her i asked her what she want to do we had lunch she loved having a day for just me and her
    Tashaevans74

Answer by Tashaevans74 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sounds great! My kids don't get a big party every year! They are just as happy with a family event. they just want to have a special day and it sounds like you have that all figured out!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Its an awesome idea, I have done it with my girls in the past and just made it their day. I make whatever they want for breakfast lunch and dinner.... we do cake and ice cream and sometimes have close family over. The last few years we have done it cause Ive been moving and going through a divorce and the girls seem to love it just the same. Especially since the entire day is devoted to them.
    jen339

Answer by jen339 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2011