would you homeschool?

pros and cons?????

JOR_HAIL

Asked by JOR_HAIL at 11:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have two in public and two homeschooled. The young ones I just don't have the patience to homeschool. Besides one is in the gifted & talented program and the other is in the accelerated program so public is doing great for them. My teens love being homeschooled and being that it is ALL online, so do I!!! They are involved in a homeschool group that has every club and activity a normal high school does, even homecoming and prom!

I don't think there is a blanket answer for everyone. It depends on the child, family, circumstances and what is offered in terms of support with local homeschool groups.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 11:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Nope, and I was home schooled. I have trouble adjusting to social situations and struggled a lot. And neither of my parents could teach so everything I know I taught myself.
    Even with home school groups the child still has struggles with socializing, trust me I was in so many and growing up kids in public schools new I was "different:"
    I understand some people have to do it for certain reasons, but please don't do it just to do it. Research, make sure you are able to teach your kids in a healthy manner, or they will be in my situation. I've come a long way but it's still a struggle and always will be for me.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No. I was homeschooled and as a result I was a very shy kid. It took forever for me to come out of my shell. I send my kids to school and I see that my kids are more outgoing than I was. Their education is important dont get me wrong, but social skills are important to me as a parent. I make sure they interacting with others in a good way. Im sure the homeschool scene is very different but when I was young we lived in a very isolated area.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No, I wouldn't. I have nothing against it, and I know that people who are homeschooled grow up to be wonderful, socially normal adults. But I just can't do it, I don't have the patience for it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would if I did not have to work. I would if I thought I could have the patience to teach him well with out getting frustrated. There are days I wish I could do it and others that I feel like there is no way I could handle it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't. I don't trust myself to teach them everything they need to know. Too much pressure. I'd rather leave it to a teacher.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would love to. I've seen some awesome programs and from my experience, the homeschooled kids learn a lot more than public school kids. I think this is a refelction of the NCLB and overcrowded classrooms. Many teachers only have time to teach for the standardized tests and nothing else. It's a relfection of the system, not of the teachers themselves. However, if my dd is considered "gifted" and has higher than average IQ, I do feel that a public or private system would benefit her more than what I could give just because I'm not creative enough to challenger her :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 12:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I used to teach before I had my DD (grades 6-12, tech college, and under grads). I'm qualified to teach. I may home school depending on which school district we are in when DD becomes school aged. I have other families in my community with home school parents with PhDs in fields I lack teaching experience in. Our home school situation would be a co-op with many kids and many instructors.

My husband was homeschooled for a short time as punishment because his parents though he was getting too secular in public school. He really missed out. He learned nothing. There are basic things I find out that he has learned totally wrong.

If you home school, you have to be on top of it. Lesson planning is a lot of work. Your child can get all the socialization and activities as a child in school but you have to build a network of home school families. It's 2 full time jobs to home school and do the music lessons and sports teams etc
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If I had the patience, I would. But I don't have the patience.
    Anonymous

• I don't have the patience. I know what my limitations are and homeschooling my children is one of them. We also have good public schools in my county.

I do commend those that have the patience to do so. The key to homeschooling though is to be very active in your local homeschooling group so that the children get peer group interaction as those children that I've known that don't get that are very socially backward and tend to be the annoying kids that can't talk to anyone but adults.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011