Vacation vs Home Improvement

We are debating on saving for a family vacation of a lifetime, or adding to our house.

VACATION: disney cruise to Europe with lots of port-of-call activities and staying over at the disney properties after the cruise

HOME IMPROVEMENT: we have two boys and two girls who are sharing rooms. we want to turn the atrium into a sunroom and add two bedrooms, a full bath and kid game/media room in a second story. right now we are in a one-story but there are two-stories in our neighborhood

Either one is so richly deserved and wanted!!!

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 11:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• well- We have a 900 Sq Ft house with a leaky roof and 1 bathroom and 2 teenage daughters. We have been here over 20 years and not done much to the crappy house. BUT- we have had some AWESOME vacations, which we will always remember.. How old are the kids? You can also choose a less expensive cruise and still do some days at disneyparks. I recomend booking adjoining cabins on the cruise intead of getting a big one. Thats what we do- it works out well. you can put 4 kids in one room and 2 adults in the other. But you have to book it with 1 adult in a room. You will also need to book early because those types of rooms go fast. I like both Carnival and Royal Carribean cruise lines and I know they are less than Disney! You can also book excusionsnot through the ship at a lower price. That way you might be able to do some home improvement too.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If I were you I would work on your home for the long-term comfort of the family. It is also your investment! Then do small less expensive day trips that are fun and with lots of pictures to keep your fond memories.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i would do the house. space is always welcomed and needed as the kids get older. vacations can come later. but thats a chioce only you can make!.
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 11:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• home improvement first..vacation will always be there later..I think home is more important but thats just me...

girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2011