What can I do to keep my family out of a homeless shelter?

We currently live with my parents but we can only stay for a few more months since financially they can no longer afford us staying with them. My SO and I both work, and are actively seeking more work, but we're getting nowhere and if nothing happens in a few months we will have nowhere to go but a shelter. We cannot afford more than a few hundred in rent and do not qualify for assistance since right now we live with my parents. We are not drug addicts (or even users), we want to work more, and work harder, we just don't know what else to do and if we end up in a shelter I will feel like we are no better than those who made the bad choices to end up in the position they are in. Does anyone know of any agencies we can contact that help people in our situation? We are in California.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• send in resumes and do phone interviews... If you had to take a greyhound or a train. Cali is very exspensive to live in... try Oregon, Nevada, or Arizona. They have way lower costs of living.
    Can I ask what you two do for a living? Is it possible for you to work and go to school so you can get a degree?
    I'm sorry you are going through this... times are hard on everyone right now
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If you are both working and staying with your parents, what is your money being used for?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• What are you spending money on that you can't save it? If you're both working, i don't understand why you can't save. What bills do you have & how much do you spend on them? How much is your combined income? Since you're anon, i figured you wouldn't mind answering those questions. It would help to know your income & bills so you can balance it all out properly....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If you're living with your parents then you should be helping pay the bills. That way they CAN afford to keep you there and not in the street. If both of you are working, then you should very well have money saved up since you're not in your own house.
    Personally, I think you're capable of it, I don't think you're trying hard enough, in my opinion.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Try calling social services and ask them for names of other organizations that can help. I also know Salvation army offers shelters but they also offer assistance getting a place to live. CA also has emergency programs that are funded federally and it is once in a lifetime, but they help pay your first months rent and security for apartments.

Answer by gemgem at 12:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• pray my love.....
    deyrita09

Answer by deyrita09 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• What part of California?
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 12:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If you are paying rent to your parents then their income should not count into the 'house hold' income. I agree if you are not paying rent you should have a good bit saved up. California has a VERY high cost of living. relocating may end up being a necessity.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• A lot of homeless people want to be but I was homeless and it was okay after four years of abuse from my father I had enough of it sometimes you move into a shelter and as bad as it sounds. It can sometimes make things better they have services for people like housing and clothing and best jobs. Some of those people are working just as hard as you but not making it either. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• dial 211
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2011