How do I get my three year old boy to use the potty?

Heres the scoop: My babys dad is lost in his work, I also work but only part time so I always at least have two days off during the weekdays or on the weekends my days off change every week...my son is three years and is now wearing size 6 huggies and will very soon not be able to wear these any more seeing as how hes getting bigger every day! So I need some advice or/and ideas of what a more or less single mom can do at home to help the process move along.......i know this may seemed a bit silly for me to reach out to you other moms for help for this subject of all things I could be asking for help with, but getting him out of diapers is a big thing right now, and no one else seems to want to help me out. So thanks all! I'll be looking forward to your answers/help! :-) HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Stacy712

Asked by Stacy712 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a daughter but, with my younger twin brothers, I know my mom fought with them tooth and nail to get them to go potty and they weren't getting. My dad worked like crazy at the time as well but, one day he was home and showed them how to potty, 'standing up' and within that day they were trained. Maybe talk with DH about just spending even a little time helping him learn?
    BrynlysMommy

Answer by BrynlysMommy at 12:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Start buying pull up or easy ups. This way he at least starts learning to pull them up or down when he has to go. When your with him ask him if he has to go potty. Eventually they do start to get the hang of it. He's gonna have lots of accidents but try offering him little rewards when he makes it to the toilet. Stickers, M&Ms, let him pick out his first pair of "big boy" underwear. Kids love the character underpants.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I know you said you're a single mom & you're probably working, I assume. But on your next day off, try letting him go around the house with a pair of underwear & no pants. See if he will get an urge to pee and say anything before he goes. Or he may go in his undies a time or two but maybe feeling it will help him see when he needs to go, he wont' like feeling wet. Try the sticker charts if he likes stickers. I gave my son (he was 2) an m&m every time he peed in the potty. He loved it & it really worked!
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 1:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• On your days off, try putting him in underwear and see if he actually dislikes the feeling of being wet. My son didn't and still doesn't care (he'll be 3 in a couple of days) - so for him what ended up working at the beginning was a sticker chart and getting small treats (like and M&M). To get him not to hate the potty, I still gave him 1 treat for just sitting down, another if he actually peed. Then I let him put a sticker up on his sticker chart (I used Toy Story stickers because it's his favorite).

I'm still working on getting him to actually tell me when he has to go, but he's been pretty good at holding it when we're out and not fighting me when I ask him to go.

And pooping is a whole different story. I'm still at a loss for that!
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:09 AM on Jan. 8, 2011