There is a group out there in Cafemom land that makes you fill out a long application in a sub-group and then they "decide" if you are "cool" enough to hang with them. How do you feel about groups like this? How do you feel about the mamas who look for this sort of approval?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in About CafeMom

• I agree with ReneeK3. I read that and instantly became sad that people would put themeselves through that. In fact, I think I know what group you are speaking of. I checked it out and you have to fill out a really long application and then they vote on you where everyone can see. How horrible is that? People actually reply with a "NO" when they don't think you are "fit" to be in their presence. Yikes. Mean girls from high school just became mean adult girls. They are so many groups out there that are respectful and nice. I hope these "rejected" women realize that these opinions from this "elite" group, simply do not matter!!
    Serendipitydoo

Answer by Serendipitydoo at 2:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• It's sad...reminds me of my highschool years. I'm not sure why women would want to seek approval from people like that.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea of making an exclusive group. I'm a member of two exclusive groups that branched off of huge groups. It's just several of us who get along really well, who were looking to get to know each other better and have somewhere to share personal stuff.

But to make a new member fill out an application like that sounds like a way to bash people who want to be members.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 2:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Yeah, it isn't a "Selective" group. It is a "who is cool enough to hang with US" group.
    I understand exclusive, when you want all of your friends in one place.
    But this is just bashing and horrid. They have no real point.
    Serendipitydoo

Answer by Serendipitydoo at 2:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Reminds me of the "cliques" in high school. Trying to exclude others because they are not "cool" enough to fit in shows immaturity that should have already been outgrown by now. However, if there is a common interest, like cooking, playing music, sewing, horseback riding, etc., and you don't share that interest, you might feel like an outsider, but why try to join a group with whom you have nothing in common, anyway?
    I belong to groups that help me in areas where I already have interests, so if I read the guidelines and they even hinted at a snobbish attitude, I would not have an interest in joining.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2008