I am trying to watch what I eat while pregnant...how can I get more options?

I am aware of fruit, but I can never keep my fruit fresh...it goes bad before I get around to eating it. I have even tried carrots but they also go bad. I do snack on whole natural almonds and yogart but I need other good and filling options besides a sandwich...I get really hungry at work. Any suggestions?

Tia04

Asked by Tia04 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Fruit is always good, but so is canned fruit (Which stays good much longer) - Get the lower sugar cans!
    How about a protein drink in the produce section of your store. They have a lot of drinks that are made out of fresh fruit with added tummy fillers!
    Serendipitydoo

Answer by Serendipitydoo at 1:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Look for a whole foods in your area. They have great products also organic.
    There are dried fruits you can eat, they also help when you have a sweet tooth.
    String cheese has calcium, or if you like cheese along you can even cut it into small blocks and snack on it that way.
    I love the dried sugar snap peas. They are crunchy and yummy, low on salt and help when you want chips.
    There are many varieties of dried vegetables you can try.
    Nuts of course, watch the ones high in fat and some drs suggest to avoid peanuts while pregnant.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• At Target and Walmart and many other places they have snack bars specifically for pregnancy and post partum.
    Granola bars are always great but may not be filing.
    Good luck!
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• -Broccoli
    -Salad
    -Vegetable Soup add chicken or whatever you'd like (homemade not can stuff)
    -Wheaties (I don't like them but when I was pregnant that's what my doc suggested...yuck)
    -Spinach Lasuagna(spelling)
    Lizzie32390

Answer by Lizzie32390 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I had the same problem. I tried to eat a lot of melons when I was pregnant, but they kept going bad! Though it's a little more expensive, you might benefit from buying the little pre-cut portions they sell at the store, if you'll eat it in the next few days. At least you won't waste any food that way. :)

The canned stuff may have some preservatives and things you might not like, but at least you'll be getting the benefits of the other stuff. Read the labels before you buy, and choose the most natural one (it'll be easier than you think).
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• What I would do was make a fruit salad and put a little bit of lemon juice to keep it from getting all brown and a little bit of sugar. It would last about a week in the fridge and I would bring it to work or just snack on it when I was home. I went from hardly ever eating fruit to eating fruit every day and even craving it!
    Aside from that everyone else had some good suggestions. Oh and you said you eat yogurt, you could also add fruit to your yogurt. You can buy frozen berries or other fruits(so they don't go bad) and just put them in your yogurt.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2008