Is the request that others accept the existence of alternative beliefs too much to ask?

Apparently so.

"I will repeat and flip your question back to you...when are all of the non-Christians going to finally open their eyes and believe he IS the Lord of all creation?

The difference between ^this question^ and this question is: 

One asks that others believe as they do. 

The other asks that others accept that some people believe differently than they do. 

Is that too much to ask? 

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

•  What if we're all wrong?  I think it's good to question our own beliefs

sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 9:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• That goes against many forms of dogmatic belief...in their eyes their path is the only way to find the spirit.. in their mind in order to even recognize the validity of a different path to the divine, they would have to denigrate their own.. so No I do not imagine that this will ever happen in the hard core dogmatic faiths.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 1:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• To be able to entertain an idea without accepting it is a sign of intelligence.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• On CM it is.
    Anonymous

• It's not too much to ask, but sadly many people cannot live up to simple expectations.

I expect people to to be as courteous as I am- holding doors open, letting people in in front of me when driving, making sure someone who has fallen is ok. But I stopped being surprised at others not doing those things in return.

Kind of the same principle. If you ask anyone "do you believe in religious tolerance" anyone will say "yes". That doesn't mean some of those people still don't go door to door at 6 am on a Saturday trying to convince you to believe the same as them.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• As long as some people insist on referring to everyone who isn't a Christian as either someone who has failed at being a Christian, is misled by Satan, or just doesn't realize they are a Christian yet, yes, it is too much to ask. It's unfortunate, too, almost as unfortunate as their mental inability to understand exactly why that belief is so rude.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Not at all. I know there are other beliefs out there. I have friends that are Wiccan/Pagan, Buddist, nonbelieving. I even have friends that are Muslim and Islam.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Not at all!! there is so much out there, and we are all unique!

Answer by older at 12:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I dont think it is.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You know it is.... As long as there are religions based on the idea of superiority asking for acceptance is like talking to the wall. If those members were willing to accept others beliefs as valid, they then counter their own beliefs superiority... Sad but true.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2011