Just how difficult is it to adopt children?

Due to a medical issue I was only able to have one child...I am 43 years old and am an empty nester...for the past several years I have been thinking about the adoption process, but I have no idea on how to proceed. Anyone that has been through the process, can you lead me in the right direction and tell me briefly how it went for you? Thank you.

Queenofscrap

Asked by Queenofscrap at 12:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Adoption

• First, you need to go to your local Children's Aid Society to take an adoption course. Then, following that, you will be assigned an adoption /social worker who will work with you on your journey to parenthood. You can choose to be on a list within the Children's Aid or you can go internationally or privately. We went on the adoption waiting list at our local Children's Aid Society and were very pleased with the great relationship we had with our social worker and her team.
    There is no way of telling you how long you will wait to receive word about children who are available to be adopted. We requested a specific age group (birth to 1 year) as that was our personal choice but there is a wide range of ages and circumstances of so many children out there who need a loving and permanent home with parents who really care.
    Our personal stories would take more than this posting will allow but our first baby was a newborn and
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 12:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• What type of adoption are you interested in? There are so many routes! Some a bit more "simple" than others - depending upon how you define simple. LOL

None are easy, really.

Are you wanting to do domestic infant adoption?

International adoption? What countries may you be interested in if that's the case? Each country has VERY specific requirements, including age, income, medical history, martial status, etc.

Special needs adoption from the foster system for children already legally free and waiting for a family? Check out adoptuskids.com to see what I mean there.

OR there's always foster to adopt for children who are in the system and may not return home. We've adopted from the foster system and just found out our homestudy update is being scheduled for the next one. She's 23 months old and we've had her since birth - we also have her half bio sister and adopted her last year.

Good luck!!!
    <
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• good luck. I know it can be more difficult depending on what country that you want the child from and what the circumstances are. my friend adopted a child over a year ago from the us and it wasn't too difficult since the child was in such a horrible position good luck
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 12:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• 'continuing from my post......
    Our first child was a newborn that was given up willingly from her young birthmom. Her birthmom had chosen us from about 5 profiles that were presented to her. No strings attached. We just send her a picture each year as that was her only request. It is a closed adoption.
    Then with our son, we recieved him at 6 1/2 months into our home just a year later. His circumstances were such that he had to be placed in a foster home at just 2 weeks old and then it was a matter of the court to decide to terminate the parental rights of his birthparents so that he could be adopted, which we did after being his foster family for about a year.
    Our children are now both 7 years old. They are only 8 months apart. We love them so much! Wishing you a blessed parenthood journey. We have other friends who have adopted as well and sometimes the journey can take time so just be prepared for that. God bless
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 1:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Since you are 43, I would suggest that doing an international adoption might take too long - most will not let you adopt over the age of 45, unless you are open to special needs. That being said special needs can be almost anything - cleft lip/pallette, low birth weight, over the age of 18 months, etc. SO if you are willing to consider special needs, then I highly recommend international adoption, Although, most international countries will not allow single parent adoptions nowadays, so if you are single - you didn't say, domestic might be your best route.If you really want a newborn, or infant, than domestic adoption might be your best bet. You can try foster to adopt or can go with a domestic adoption creating a profile and waiting for a birth mother to choose you.You have lots of options and adopting is a HUGE roller coaster - but SO worth it! Good luck!
    mommy2kaelynn

Answer by mommy2kaelynn at 2:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011