Younger child tearing up your older child's things?

My daughter is 4 and my son is 20 months. He just LOOOOOVES getting into her things and tearing them up!! I have organized her room and every night we clean things up together and I show her where to put her stuff so that baby brother cannot get to it. Of course she still pulls it all out and he gets to it anyway, then she cries and screams that something she really loves is destroyed. In a way I feel bad for her but at this point she knows to keep things put away. I also cannot seem to keep him out of her room because it is the "hot spot" They both love to hang out in there and play and watch a movie together and what not. I just don't know what to do or if there is anything i CAN do to prevent this from happening.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well in my house no one goes in any room with out being invited and my kids are not allowed in each others rooms without the 'owner' of that room being in there as well. That way if there is a problem I am notified and can come take care of it. So if DD wants in DS room she must knock and ask. If DS decides he wants to come down stairs DD has to leave his room when he does.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think if he is tearing her things up then he needs to be punished. While it is her responsibility to keep her things out of his reach, he should also have to learn to respect peoples things. If they are always in her room and she wants to play with her things she should be able to. If it were me I would put him in a time out the next time he tears her things up.

He is old enough to understand that what he is doing is wrong and if he never gets in trouble for doing it and he thinks it is fun, then what reason does he have to stop.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Does he get punished for it? Hand smacked? Timeout? He is old enough to have a little punishment, of course nothing extreme. When he does this, I would show him what he tore up & tell him sternly, "NO". Smack his hand or put him in timeout, whatever you prefer (or even both). Just for a minute or two. Then tell him to be nice to his sister's things. He will learn. She is only 4, remember, she can't be thinking about what her brother is doing all the time or trying to protect her things non-stop.
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 1:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2011