How to get a picky 4 year old to eat fruit?

MY son is 4 years old and hates fruits and vegetable. The vegetable and puree it aand put it in his food, but fruits I ca not seem to get some in him. Any ideas?

Honeyball

Asked by Honeyball at 1:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• have you tried dips? Kids like to dip things! I have a couple of good dip recipes if you are interested or just plain vanilla yogurt is a good fruit dip.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Have you tried eating it in front of him and say:"mmmmm, it's so good!" Also maybe you could mix the fruits up with something he likes.
    my_jasnkiki

Answer by my_jasnkiki at 1:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• try to make it fun for him!! Who does he look up to and have them eat the fruit you want him to try and he may copy them!! my niece would never brush her teeth and would cry but then I did it and made it look fun and my sister walked in and she was laughing and brushing her teeth!! My sister couldn't believe that she was doing it!!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I used to give my kids smoothies. I would put, yogurt, fruit and milk in them. I would make them like milkshakes, but healthier. I also do things like making apples with peanut butter or baked apples with cinnamon and sugar.

I would also get him involved in making his snacks. I think kids eat better when they are able to help and see what thye are eating. You could also try making trail mix and adding dried fruit and nuts to it, or add cereal to it. If you put everything in seperate bowls and let him make his own he might like it better. He will get to choose what he wants for flavors and he might like that.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My almost 4 year old is a picky eater too, luckily he loves fruits. Veggies not so much. To try and get him the nutrition he needs I make sure he takes a multi-vitamin everyday (they have the cool Disney gummy vitamins that my boy just thinks is candy), and I get him those supplement drinks. I think Pediasure makes them, they come in vanilla, strawberry and chocolate flavors and I put them in the freezer for a while until they are almost like a shake. If he likes yogurt try cutting some fruit up in that, or get some yogurt with real fruit in it, or try cutting some fruit up in cereal or oatmeal.
    sarabur420

Answer by sarabur420 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'm eating an apple chicken salad wrap right now... you could try adding fruit to your other recipes. You can also make "green drinks" with fruit and veggies in them. Blend some spinach, bananas, yogurt and ice cubes together and call it "alien snot" or something... boys love that!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Give him some of those drinks that are made out of fruit, I think V-8 makes some really good ones.

Answer by older at 1:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My kids like smoothies. This morning I made one with
    1 1/2 c coconut milk
    1 1/2 c frozen blackberries
    1/2 c fresh strawberries
    1/2 tsp lime juice &
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    My kids loved it . . .
    You can sneak some veggies in as well. I also have the cookbook "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld. It has some good ways to sneak in veggies . . .
    LadySenae

Answer by LadySenae at 4:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• smooties. thats how i get my 3 yr old and 2 yr old to eat them
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 8:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• hummus
    peanut sauce
    smoothies
    avocado pudding

Answer by rkoloms at 12:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2011