Need advice and tips for taking care of newly permed hair

Okay so I just got a "spiral perm".. It really looks more like I scrunched it but anywho.. This is the first perm Ive ever gotten. I usually have stick straight hair. So Im looking for any tips and advice in caring for permed hair. Thanks in advance to all who answer! :)

xxMasonsMommaxx

Asked by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• No washing for 48 hours. Use a pick , start at bottom and gently comb through hair. Professional shampoo and conditioner will carry the perm longer..and make sure you get trims with each perm to keep your hair healthy! a gel or cream to smooth frizz will make it softer and more managable. the cuticle on curly hair dosent lay flush ( they should be like shingles on a roof) and product will help seal those freshly made gaps. Can you guess what i do for a living?? good luck =)
    stylinmomma88

Answer by stylinmomma88 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• don't use conditioner and use a pick to comb it out. use shampoos that help with curling good luck perms don't usually work that good with people with super straight hair I haven't done a perm since 4th grade!!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• just start at the top and slowly comb out the tangles if you comb it too hard the perm will have more of a tendiency to go straight
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• first no washing for 24hrs, after that scrunch it with your hands and use a pick or a rat tail comb
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 4:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Okay, I know this may sound stupid but I dont really know how to "pick" my hair out, lol.. Do I use the pick to just completely comb it, or just pick through it? Lol..
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Comment by xxMasonsMommaxx (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• perms - love that they are back. just because you have a perm does not mean you do not need to style your hair - stylinmomma has given you the perfect product list. For the spiral look buy the spiral curling iron, the perm will help you hair take and keep the curl longer then with out. Unless you have the church lady short super tight curl perm - perms are high maintainence and no hot oil treatments they kill the perm and the color.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 9:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2011