Almost 13 mos, refuses to hold her own bottle, or drink from a sippy!!

She won't drink milk, either. Doc says no allergies or anything... but she never DID hold her own bottle, and now she hates the sippy. I can't get her to use it. I put it in front of her and she plays with it, but doesn't drink out of it. When we hold her and give it to her like a bottle she just wails and cries like it's torture. She likes milk in a bottle (but again, we have to hold her bottle or prop her up- she won't hold her own bottle) so it's not the taste... ugh. Girls are so high maintenance!!! :)

Suggestions to get her to love the sippy? Her eating habits drive me NUTS! She still won't pick up her own food and eat it (like steamed veggies, or Gerber Puffs). She refuses to feed herself in any form. And hates "regular food". It has to be jarred baby food, and only in the last WEEK did she agree to eat Stage 3's. She wants to eat pureed bananas for the rest of her life. Food shouldn't be a battle right? I mean... who hates food?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, my daughter didn't crawl until 10 months and didn't walk until 13 months. I always held her bottle for her. She has no developmental delays. Maybe she needs a transitional type cup. They make sippy cups that are halfway between a bottle and a sippy. Try one of those. Babies are supposed to be held when fed, not given a bottle at 5 months to feed themselves. I think that's sad.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It sounds like she may have texture issues. I'd have her tested for autism or Aspergers.
    Anonymous

• yikes this sounds like my niece my sister threw all of her bottles in the garbage and my niece saw her doing it so she knew she had to use her sippy cup. you can also try and put vingar on the tips of the bottles most babies don't like that but my niece loved the taste of it!! haha good luck
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My daughter was like this... She fought VERY hard to drink from her sippies. One day I just said "that's it, your done with the bottle" and sure enough, she fussed for about an hour but then she was drinking from the sippy. We haven't looked back. Good luck
    missy19874419

Answer by missy19874419 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We tried that route yesterday, and she fussed for the entire day. And never did take it. We put it in the fridge and tried again the today... we were trying to be persistant but she still won't take it. She ate breakfast (oatmeal is the closest thing to "chunky" that she'll eat) and still won't drink her sippy. She's more hard headed then ME!!! And that's SAYING something!!

She's just behind on everything. Like, I've felt like she's about 4 mos behind in development for a while... maybe I should just wait 4 mos and try again. Everything she does is about the level of an 8 mo old. Not walking yet (barely even standing), can't pull herself up to standing yet, Says "mama", "dada", "No" "yes" and "wuzzat?" but not much else... she's just behind on all levels. Maybe I should just wait...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• It may sound harsh but she is old enough to understand sit the bottle down and tell her its there if she wants it. If she wants it bad enough she will drink it. My 3 kids all were holding there own bottle at about 5 months old. I hope you can figure something out.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If she is behind I would definietly tell your Dr. about it. My oldest DD was having delays her dr. kept saying its fine she'll catch up well i changed her dr. to get a 2nd opinion and it turns out my DD has low muscle tone and develpmental delays she is now is physical therapy. She didnt walk unitl 16 months old and didnt crawl until 10 months old.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• The thing is, everyone kept giving me CRAP for propping my boys up with a bottle when the were little. I propped them since they were about 3 mos old. They were holding their own bottles by 4, 5 mos too. So I decided to "do it right" with my daughter and hold her bottle and feed her. Now she's spoiled and doesn't want to hold her own bottle or feed herself. That's the last time I let peer pressure tell me how to raise my own kid.

Lily didn't crawl until about 10 mos too... and she's no where near walking. SOMETIMES she'll walk if you hold her hands. but it's shaky and she hates doing it. I think I WILL get a second opinion because she hasn't done ANYTHING on schedule since she was born.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Don't stress. I think the sippy thing is not really a problem until she's way older and still cannot use a sippy. The real issues are dental care (is she drinking milk from the bottle all day long?) and volume (is she drinking milk instead of eating?) Otherwise, who cares what they drink out of! It's really normal for some kids to take longer. Give it time.

And honestly, besides the possible food texture issue, she doesn't sound developmentally delayed. Yeah, she likes being waited on. But being stubborn is NOT a disorder. And there is a HUGE range for what is normal. 10 months when start crawling and only shaky walking at 12 months is well within the normal range. Mama, so far it sounds like your little girl is doing just fine!!

Definitely get a second medical opinion, and request testing for whatever you're scared of. But if everything comes back normal, just go easy on her and on yourself. She is still very young.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011