Son has fear of most bathrooms

My son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. He receives therapy at his early head start school. He only goes for the mornings. I am at my wits end. He will only use three bathrooms that I know of. Our down stairs bathroom at home, the bathroom at his fathers and the downstairs bathroom at his grandparents house. In general his reaction to public bathrooms is an instant meltdown, even just suggesting using the upstairs bathroom is cause for panic. He is completely potty trained other than this.

My son is very high functioning, he is right on the border... I've tried everything, we see his doctor Friday, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wildkitten82

Asked by Wildkitten82 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• good luck i am sorry that you are having such a hard time
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I wish I knew. My son is 3 and has pdd-nos and is scared of every bathroom so far. All you can do is try to reassure him. Have you tried reading him social stories? They are little stories that describe what's going to happen...describes what he'll see...the noises, etc. Maybe that could help?
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2011